ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Information items in 2-prd2-cd minimal instances

G. Ken Holman wrote:

> At 2006-08-13 10:49 +0800, Tim McGrath wrote:
>
>> no business rules are used to guide this model and as such it is
>> fairly meaningless.  no-one could use this model as-is.  consider the
>> waybill - it only decribes a shipment and no parties involved!
>

> Does that mean that it doesn't have sufficient mandatory elements for
> a UBL document type?

This is my (and sylvia's) point, there isn't really a minimal set of
mandatory elements that would in their own right constitute a meaningful
(and/or legal) exchange.

Clearly a document requires identification of the parties involved, but
our schemas have no mandatory ones.  that is because whilst it is
required to have parties we cannot mandate which type of parties must be
defined.  Sometimes the Consignee, sometimes the Freight Forwarder -
depends on the context of use.

In this situation stating here are my shipment details in isolation, may
be technically valid but not much use.

>> i suspect ken was seeing value in a "meets all mandatory
>> requirements" generic model for minimum compliance checking. but i am
>> think this is more a technical objective than a business one.
>

> Kind of ... but is there a business benefit enabled by the technical
> enabling of a transaction of core information upon which the receiver
> adds what is needed.
>
>> in fact there is a danger here that this type of model may become a
>> target for compliance in application interfaces.  i am not sure we
>> want that.
>

> I think it is worth discussing.

OK, I see now your vision of Open-UBL.  This is another part of the
customization puzzle we should consider in the approach we are
defining.  You are proposing a minimal subset (or what i would call a
"core pattern") for each document type. An approach Bob and I refer to
as "Core plus Contextualization" in our [highly acclaimed] book.
However i suspect what actually constitutes this "core" or miminal
subset, cannot be automatically derived from our models or schemas. It
seems to me more like another SBS-type project.

--
regards
tim mcgrath