ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Information items in 2-prd2-cd minimal instances

At 2006-08-14 13:22 +0800, Tim McGrath wrote:
>G. Ken Holman wrote:
>>At 2006-08-13 10:49 +0800, Tim McGrath wrote:
>>>no business rules are used to guide this model
>>>and as such it is fairly meaningless.  no-one
>>>could use this model as-is.  consider the
>>>waybill - it only decribes a shipment and no parties involved!
>>Does that mean that it doesn't have sufficient
>>mandatory elements for a UBL document type?
>This is my (and sylvia's) point, there isn't
>really a minimal set of mandatory elements that
>would in their own right constitute a meaningful (and/or legal) exchange.
>In this situation stating here are my shipment
>details in isolation, may be technically valid but not much use.
>OK, I see now your vision of Open-UBL.  This is
>another part of the customization puzzle we
>should consider in the approach we are
>defining.  You are proposing a minimal subset
>(or what i would call a "core pattern") for each
>document type. An approach Bob and I refer to as
>"Core plus Contextualization" in our [highly acclaimed] book.

Actually, I'm trying to state something
stronger:  that our choice of the minimal
mandatory set of information items in the
document type be considered the "core" that
conveys at least enough information for parties
to continue on "out of band" and complete the transaction.

It could be that the document types are there now
... I wouldn't know so that is why I published
what is there right now and asked the question of
the committee as a comment in the process ... but
if other comments are sufficient to warrant a
change in the schemas, it might be worthwhile to
review the minimum mandatory elements to see if
something can be changed to flesh out the core for some of the document types.

>However i suspect what actually constitutes this
>"core" or miminal subset, cannot be
>automatically derived from our models or
>schemas. It seems to me more like another SBS-type project.

I'm of the opinion this is a TC decision of
minimum mandatory elements because the
non-XML'ers out there who use UBL may be (will
be?) tempted at times to use the absolute minimum
"just to pass the schema validation" without
regard for completeness.  Think of the techie who
has been told by his boss:  "make this document
pass" ... I can easily picture that as soon as he
has used enough information items such that there
are no schema problems, he will believe that he is done.

While I *totally* agree that users should choose
how much of UBL makes sense, choosing an SBS
suite of optional elements, or your suggested
"core" suite of optional elements, I also believe
there will be a class of user out there who
believe that they have done "enough" if their
instance validates against the document model.

But I do not believe this should delay the
release of UBL 2.0 ... if there are no other
changes in the comments that trigger a new
review, then these comments of mine aren't
important enough to do so themselves.  However,
if for other reasons there is going to be the
need for another review, this would give us a
chance to consider the 31 reports of the minimum
information items for each document type and make
a few more items mandatory so that a minimal
instance of each document type isn't missing an
obvious piece of information that has been overlooked during development.

That is pretty subjective too ... since I am
relying on "out of band" completion of the
transaction while using a minimal instance to
convey the essentials of the transaction, the out
of band stuff would be that that the receiver can
deal with (including static details about the
sender; after all, I'm assuming they know with
whom they are dealing) without missing any
transient details specific to just the transaction.

I suppose that would be the
distinction:  assuming that I know the sender
(because that is why I've engaged this special
mode of operation), I can assume the static
information that is true about the message across
all messages from the sender ... what the minimum
information in the instance would be would be
that which is specific to the transaction that
the receiver cannot assume in order to complete the transaction out of band.

I hope this is considered helpful and not
distracting.  It came to mind when I was trying
to "just make the dang instance validate" for one
of my localized tests, which led me to create the
XPath report (so I wouldn't have to look in the
XSD schemas), which directed me on how to do so
by enumerating the minimum mandatory elements.  I
then realized this mindset might not be all that
uncommon, having witnessed it in publishing,
where technologists might try to take such
shortcuts in e-commerce ... they could then blame
the UBL TC for not making the mandatory minimum
elements sufficiently descriptive to still be actually useful.

While I would like to believe in the ideal that
new users of XML are anxious to learn how to do
things properly, I've seen otherwise.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training:         Vårø, Denmark 06-09-25/10-06
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc