ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Genericode files and URIs naming rules

Thank you, Roberto, for your continued input on these issues.

At 2006-08-30 07:59 +0200, roberto@javest.com wrote:
>this is a question for the new Code List TC.

Actually, you have correctly directed your
question to the "code list task group" of the UBL
TC ... though we haven't formally named them as
such I've been distinguishing the "UBL code list
task group" and the "UBL customization task
group" as informal projects within UBL without
formal subcommittees formed such as "UBL Small
Business Subcommittee (SBSC)" or "Human Interface
Subcommittee (HISC)".  To me, the task groups are
just collections of interested parties within the
full TC that "report" to and through the full TC.

The "new Code List TC" referenced in the Pacific
call minutes is a separate OASIS Technical
Committee, the Code List Representation TC (CLRTC):

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=codelist

We've had a very successful inaugural meeting and
we are hoping to move quickly through the OASIS
process of bringing genericode 0.4 up to a
genericode 1.0 and published it as a committee
specification and OASIS standard.  We then will
look at what more can be addressed in this
area.  The committee is looking at genericode *in
and of itself* to ensure it is useful in many
contexts, including UBL, but there are no
UBL-specific action items in the new Code List

>Is it possible to change the genericode file and URI naming rules to be
>similar the XSDs ?

This is a question for our UBL TC since this
regards *using* genericode rather than *defining* genericode.

You have focused on the use of either "-2" or
"-2.0" in various contexts of identifiers in UBL
2, and I believe one of the two issues you have
raised needs changing while the other does not.

>e.g.
>Actual XSD file naming
>URI:      urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:Catalogue-2
>
>Filename: UBL-Catalogue-2.0.xsd
>Actual Genericode file naming
>URI:      urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:codelist:gc:AccountTypeCode-2.0
>
>Filename: AccountTypeCodeType.gc
>Genericode File and URI naming proposal (same as XSDs)
>URI:      urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:codelist:gc:AccountTypeCode-2
>
>Filename: AccountTypeCode-2.0.gc
>
>I also do not have clear the reason why the version is specified into a
>different way on XSD filenames and URIs:
>
>-2.0  or just  -2

Because (in my mind) the URI of a namespace and
the URI of an artefact are two different things
and have different conventions:  I've come to the
conclusion in all of the debates of namespace URI
strings that it is suitable for the initial
release of the "family of UBL 2 releases of
vocabularies" to have "-2", after which
newly-introduced constructs will have qualified versions "-2.1", "-2.2", etc.

The artefacts, themselves, however need to be
distinguished as the artefacts released with the
initial release of UBL 2.0, so the URI strings
identifying particular artefacts, and the
*filenames* of those artefacts, correctly end with "-2.0".

This is reflected in the qDT URI strings for the
listSchemeURI (and upcoming listURI) value.

So I don't believe we need to change the URI
strings:  the "-2" values that you see are for
namespaces and the "-2.0" values that you see are for artefacts.

>This is only a personal idea, I think simplicity and homogeneity are
>essential for a global acceptance of UBL.

I agree, but homogeneity would only be useful
when we are talking about the same kind of thing,
which I believe is not the case for the URI strings.

But I now believe you *are* correct about the
file names of the genericode files not currently
having "-2.0" and they should have "-2.0".  This
will not change the contents of the
defaultCodeList.xsl file, but they will change
the lists of files in the index.html file.

If no-one else has any objections, then I will go
through the cl\ directory of PRD3 and ensure the
filenames of the genericode artefacts end in
"-2.0.gc" ... and I will supply Jon with new lists of filenames for index.html.

If someone does have concerns, *please* speak up quickly!

>I hope it is useful.

Very useful, Roberto!  Thank you.  For many
months I've been anxious to get the input of
members on issues of this nature.  I hope that I
have accurately reflected what has not really
been stated explicitly but has been assumed.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com