ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Genericode files and URIs naming rules

At 2006-08-31 09:36 +0100, Anthony B. Coates (Miley Watts) wrote:
>On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 01:07:15 +0100, G. Ken Holman
><gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> wrote:
>
>>BUT!!  Attention Tony Coates:  I just realized there is a problem ...
>>according to genericode the ShortName is a name token and not a
>>normalized string.  The qDT file has "UN/ECE 4461" for the listID value,
>>and UBL 2.0 declares that listID is a normalizedString, not a name
>>token.  For metadata checking I need the genericode file to have the
>>listID value in order to be checked, so it looks like for UBL 2.0 I have
>>to violate the genericode 0.4 constraints in order to have the correct
>>value there.  This will be an issue for the support package, but for a
>>handful of genericode files in UBL 2.0 they will not be able to pass
>>genericode 0.4 XSD validation.  I'm hoping genericode 1.0 XSD will allow
>>normalized strings for the short name so this constraint won't be
>>violated.
>
>I guess this is, at least in part, a nomenclature issue.  A genericode
>"short name" is a name that is suitable for use in the construction of
>software assets, i.e. it should be usable for XML names, Java names,
>relational database names, etc.

Ah, yes ... that make sense.

>What you've described is two long names
>for the same thing (in genericode nomenclature).  This is why "LongName"
>has an "Identifier" attribute that can be used to disambiguate multiple
>long names whenever necessary.
>
>So, you could use "listID" as an "Identifier" value.  How does that sound?

Excellent ... so it would look as follows?

Proposed:  PaymentMeansCode-2.0.gc

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gc:CodeList xmlns:gc="http://genericode.org/2006/ns/CodeList/0.4/";>
   <Identification>
     <ShortName xml:lang="en">PaymentMeans</ShortName>
     <LongName xml:lang="en" Identifier="UN/ECE 4461">Payment Means</LongName>
     <Version>D03A</Version>

In the UBL code list value validation
methodology, the checking of the listID=
attribute will then be either the Identifier=
attribute of LongName, or if not present, then
the LongName value itself.  I'll only add the
attribute if it is going to be different than the long name.

Thanks, Tony, for the quick response.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com