ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Validating UBL 2.0 genericode files with Altova XMLSpy

Hi,

Excerpts from previous replies on this subject:

> Dear Juerg,
>
> What information were you expecting XML Spy to use to look up a Schema
> location in the catalog?  Were you expecting it to use the namespace URI?
> You seem surprised that it uses the Schema location.
>
> Cheers, Tony.

Tony,
I am not surprised that it uses the Schema location. But I am surprised that the gc files shipped with UBL 2.0 rely on specific XML editor features in order to validate correctly.

> So ... I can do what is necessary in oXygen ...
> Juerg cannot, apparently, do the same in XMLSpy,
> so the question is "is there some configuration
> in XMLSpy to map a namespace to a schema?"
>
> . . . . . . . . . . Ken

Ken,
Thanks for clarifying. That seems to be the central question.
- - - - -
> The XML Spy docs are very vague on this.  The text suggest that they only
> use the catalog to match the public ID in a DOCTYPE declaration.  However,
> the subset of OASIS XML Catalogs that they use suggests that they might
> also be able to match some URIs.  From what Juerg wrote, it sounds like
> XML Spy will match a Schema location to a URI in the catalog, but not a
> namespace URI.
>
> Cheers, Tony.

Tony,
Correct, I have been able to use XMLSpy's XML catalog subset (the uri name=... uri=... clause) successfully, but only when a Schemalocation is present in the gc file.
- - - - -
> Yes, that is my interpretation of Juerg's
> analysis.  And I see no reference in the XML
> Catalog specification[1] for mapping a namespace
> URI to a system resource.  I've written to some
> catalogue users off-line to see if I'm missing
> something.  If true, then it would be a feature
> of an editing tool outside of support for the XML Catalog specification.

If that is true, then one would like to think that the OASIS standard for gc files should not depend on features of individual editing tools ...?

> In oXygen I can configure precisely what I need
> to edit the PRD3 genericode files:  a mapping of
> a namespace URI string to a schema location in
> the absence of an xsi:schemaLocation attribute.
>
> I hope someone can point us to this feature, if it exists, in XML Spy.

I hope so too. Alternatively, how are other editing tools faring?

> . . . . . . . . . . Ken
- - - - -
> I was part of the committee for OASIS XML Catalogs, as it happens.  URI
> rewriting is mentioned in section 4.2:
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html#s.uri.ent
>
> The thing is, it is up to a particular application to decide *which* URIs
> are rewritten using the catalog.  There is built-in support for public and
> system IDs are defined for DTDs, but otherwise everything is just URLs.
>
> Cheers, Tony.

Tony,
I am not to familiar with the rewriteURI clause in the context of gc files urns. What would I have to specify for uriIDStartString= and rewritePrefix= ?
Would this use the namespace URI, or the schemaLocation URI? If the latter, I fear the rewriteURI may not solve this problem either ...

- - - - -

> I really think we should include a pre-compiled xml catalog with the UBL
> support package including all GCs and XSDs setting for URI resolving.
>
> - URI are more suitable to resolve namespaces
> - SystemID are more indicated to resolve schemaLocations
>
> Thus we have to deal with URI rewrites only I think.
>
> This pre-compiled xml catalog could be located into the UBL distribution
> root and have a base address like ./
>
> What do you think about ?
>
> UBL ITLSC
> co-chair
> Roberto Cisternino

Roberto,
That seems like a good idea to me in any case. But would this allow to validate a gc file using XMLSpy when the schemaLocation attribute is absent?

Many thanks for your contributions.
Juerg