ubl message

Subject: XPath files for CS UBL 2.0 are now available

Good morning, all,

With many thanks to Mary and Robin at OASIS for
their efforts in getting this file posted for me
in time for today, I'm pleased to announce one
can now find the latest XPath files for the UBL
2.0 Committee Specification at this location:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/submissions/XPath-files/XPath-files-readme.html

The current ZIP file itself is 300Mb, expanding to 8Gb when unzipped:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/submissions/XPath-files/UBL-2.0-20061006-XPath.zip

These XPath files will form part of the UBL 2.0
support package, but they are already useful in
their own right so I've been anxious to have them
posted so they can be officially cited and
utilized by one of the projects to which I am
contributing.  I suspect other projects should find these files very useful.

Developed originally to specify the constructs in
the Small Business Subset, XPath files have now
turned out to be very useful in the development
of and the quality assurance checking of a UBL
customization.  I have plans to experiment with
these files in a deployment of my own to
establish their applicability and usefulness,
which may form some guidelines for new users
creating a deployment of UBL.  You can see some
of my earlier thoughts on this in the previously
announced discussion document of mine at the
following address, though some of the details have already changed:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=18849

An XPath file enumerates all of the information
items (elements and attributes), in all contexts,
for a document model.  It does so independent of
whatever technology is used to specify the
constraints on the document model.  It is just an
exhaustive enumeration (which is why an XPath file can be so very large).

Some of the modeling decisions in UBL 2 resulted
in deep reuse, something not as evident in UBL 1
or even PRD2 of UBL 2.  Because of these document
modeling decisions I've had to do much of my work
with these large XPath files using the SAX
interface to XML rather than XSLT since some XSLT
processors have difficulty (in both size and speed) with a 475Mb XML instance.

In the last few weeks I've used these files in
the definition of a UBL customization, paring
down the list of information items to meet my
customer's requirements.  Interestingly, my
customer has contextual constraints such that the
same element information item has different
content definitions in different contexts.  This
can be accommodated in an XPath file.

The document model constraints for XPath files
themselves have been revised to allow the
presence of foreign vocabularies.  As part of my
work in paring down the files, I ended up
decorating the files with custom annotations
created by my customer just by putting these in a
separate namespace.  The included RELAX-NG model
for XPath files accommodates the presence of
foreign vocabulary constructs.  I haven't yet
modified the W3C Schema model of XPath files
since it is only an approximation of some of the
other constraints of the XPath document model.

As I get results from my deployment
experimentation, I will post more about the use
of XPath files, but for now they are available
for anyone to use, and are now part of the
permanent record so that my customer can cite them on the OASIS server.

I look forward to answering any questions anyone
may have about these files and their use, as this
will help us in shaping the support package.

--
UBL/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Allerød/Vårø Denmark 2006-11-13,17,20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com