ubl message

Subject: GKH's latest thoughts on UBL modeling, deployment, customization and minor versioning

Fellow UBL TC members,

I have finally got around to updating my thoughts
about UBL modeling with respect to deployment,
customization and minor versioning of revisions
to the vocabulary.  Here is version 0.5 of my document:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=23654

It is my input to Mavis and Mike regarding customizations.

It is my input regarding the Singapore
face-to-face UBL TC meeting discussions of compatibility vs. conformance.

It is my input regarding a mechanism methodology
for minor-versioning of 2.1, 2.2 and 2.x
vocabularies.  Note that my proposal does not
mesh with OASIS policy on namespace
minor-versioning, so I'm hoping that the
committee can see the benefits of my proposal
would warrant seeking dispensation from OASIS to allow us to use it.

I see it is all as related which is why all three
inputs are in one document.  But because of that
it is a lengthy document (sorry for that).  I
wanted to try and justify all of my proposals so
that readers are not uncomfortable with the
concepts.  When I presented some of this at the
Montréal face-to-face UBL TC meeting there was,
understandably, some unease about my proposal
without me being able to back it up with examples and description.

This is only a discussion document for
input.  For readers of the archive, this in no
way represents any consensus or position by the UBL TC.

By getting it out early I hope those attending
the Manhattan face-to-face UBL TC meeting will
have a chance to review it before the meeting in
order to engage in productive discussion
regarding the viability of the proposals.

Of course we can discuss any of this on the UBL
TC mail list between now and then, especially to
get the input from those who are unable to attend the Manhattan face-to-face.

I'm looking forward to discussing these ideas,
*especially* if we can shoot them down by seeing
things that I cannot see because I'm too close to
it.  We have important decisions coming up and
only if we try to break proposals will we know that they'll be resilient.

Thanks!

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc