ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] PaymentTerms->Amount

Hello,

I am not sure there should be a direct relationship between payment
instalments and single invoice items amounts.

Usually instalments are calculated from the total of the document
according to some terms (e.g. 30 60 90) and by splitting the total into
equal parts or based on a percentage.

The only exception to this that I am aware of is about taxes (IVA/VAT),
these are commonly (in Italy) splitted uniformely on all instalments or
all into the 1st instalment.

This can be better understood on the attachment samples I made by
analyzing 2 well known accounting systems.

The 1st sample is about a complex splitted payment.
The 2nd is a sample about IVA/VAT issue where it is showed how an
accounting software configures the payment terms.

If we need any technical accounting information I could arrange an
interview with an expert from a local consortium made of ERP and common
accounting systems Producers.

Hope these samples are useful,
also the Payment Terms Amount (Peter asked for) can be easely identified
in the 1st sample to specify a fixed amount instalment.

Regards,

Roberto Cisternino
UBL ITLSC

Stephen Green wrote:
Sorry to be putting the following points to the TC rather than PSC.
Maybe they should just be forwarded to PSC.

I can't add much light at this stage but I would add my own request
too that Payment/PaymentMeans/PaymentTerms be thoroughly thrashed out
for UBL 2.1. There seem to be some aspects which may pose problems in
any solution such as whether something which is 0..1 can be made 0..n
in a minor version (and if not then what?).

We did a lot of work in that incredible last stint in Brussels on trying
to get the cardinalities of the relationships between these entities right
for 2.0 and maybe we didn't get it all quite perfect of course. We did
agree that the relationship between Payment and PaymentMeans (and perhaps
PaymentTerms too) should be many-to-many. We used IDs and references to
do this so that PaymentMeans can relate to several payments and several
PaymentMeans can relate to a single Payment or several Payments - at
least that was what was intended (at the last minute, like I say, but it
seems to work). The same with PaymentTerms - one PaymentTerms entity can
relate to several Payments or even to several PaymentMeans and likewise
the other way round round - one PaymentMeans or Payment can be related
to one or several PaymentTerms. It seems to work well enough.

So that ought to leave the possibility that there can be an Amount
as a property of a Payment, an Amount as a property of a PaymentMeans and
an Amount as a property of a PaymentTerms aggregate and it should all work
out. But it doesn't seem to be as simple as that since these can each
have various possible cardinalities in their relationships with the document
and its other associations and properties. 1) It might be best to make the
relationship between the relevant documents and * each * of these aggregates
a 0..n but that might not be easy when some are 0..1 in UBL 2.0 so some
gaps may have to be filled some other way. And 2) It might be a good thing
to look at the other places there are in other aggregates - such as
AllowanceCharge - which have an Amount which needs to be related to
any or each of these payment-related aggregates and to examine the effective
cardinalities of how they all relate together. So can a single PaymentTerms
be somehow related to a single AllowanceCharge's qualified Amount? Likewise
can multiple PaymentTerms be somehow be related to a single AllowanceCharge's
qualified Amount? And maybe ask: Can multiple AllowanceCharge's Amounts each
be related to the same PaymentTerms? The same would go for possible needs
for relationships between Payment and AllowanceCharge/xyzAmount and
PaymentMeans
and AllowanceCharge/xyzAmount. With the latter it was disputed at one point
when some objected that it sounded illegal to make an AllowanceCharge Amount
dependant on the PaymentMeans, so that means it must have been discussed.

To answer Peter: The latter discussion does seem to suggest that PaymentMeans
was to be related in some way to AllowanceCharge and this seems to me to lend
weight to the argument that it has been considered that PaymentTerms too
might
relate to the Amount in the AllowanceCharge. What then PaymentTerms' own
Amount property is to be used for I do not know - perhaps it was a mistake.

To answer Robert: The whole thing has been discussed but perhaps not enough
so in my opinion it needs more discussion on what would be the gaps to fill
and then how to do that while maintaining backwards compatibility in minor
release(s).

All the best

--
Stephen Green