ubl message

Subject: Likely genericode 1.0 impact on UBL genericode files

I'm currently working on changes to the genericode 1.0 Schema after the
first public review.  One thing that was noted by the committee was that
genericode uses "xml:lang" to indicate in one part of the document what
the language is in *another* part of the document.  It turns out that the
semantics of "xml:lang" are that its intended scope is only within the
element in which it occurs, so the genericode Schema isn't using it
correctly.

This is my mistake, I was following a notional design rule of "if you need
a language code, use an 'xml:lang' attribute", and it turns out that this
rule often isn't appropriate.  The Code List Representation TC currently
intends to change 'xml:lang' to 'Lang' to fix the issue.  However, this
will impact the current UBL genericode files, which use 'xml:lang'.  If
you want to comment on this to the TC, please post an e-mail to the Code
List Representation TC comments list

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=codelist

or to me directly.  Thanks,

Cheers, Tony.