ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] docbook of NDR, etc

At 2007-09-17 17:26 -0600, stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
>(cc Sue Probert with respect to eDocs idea below)
>
>Also, has anyone thought of mapping UBL instances to docbook?
>If there were a docbook profile which facilitated such mapping
>it might help in standardizing UBL human interface representation.
>A thought for HISC?

I'm not sure what it would mean to map it to DocBook.

I've already done some experiments to ODF (.ods in particular) for
use in both input and output, but nothing near clean enough to share
with anyone (I'm caught up in ISO standardization stuff right now and
code lists, so I suspended my UBL-to-and-from-ODF research).

>Plus, has anyone thought of standardizing a tabular representation
>of, say, UN edocs (as alternative to absolute positioning on a page).
>Then UBL could be mapped to that. Maybe that's one for UN/CEFACT:
>Say in Invoice the Invoice Number is positioned in cell B2, the
>Invoice date in cell D2, the labels adjacent, etc. It could work
>just as well with spreadsheets as with HTML or CALS tables, etc
>and therefore could facilitate Invoice representation in docbook
>and mappings to UBL, CEFACT documents, etc.

The CALS model used in DocBook (actually, it might be the OASIS
Exchange Model that might be the one used in DocBook) would represent
the appropriate cell spanning, but I don't think it would represent
the appropriate cell dimensions.  I think it might be too abstract to
be useful for presentation purposes.

In my experiments I'm taking my XSL-FO stylesheets and adapting them
to ODF, expressing dimension information, producing a representation
of an invoice and UN Layout Key for use in ODF tools.

And, since Google uses ODF behind its Google Spreadsheet Documents,
I'm trying to find a way to "host" a master Invoice instance on
Google (but I can't figure a way of registering export filters to
create UBL from a Google spreadsheet).  I've written the Google
developers asking them about how to register XSLT transforms on
Google, thus making Google a UBL document development and
distribution environment.  I also asked about registering
transformations to HTML and PDF from Google spreadsheets using XSLT
and XSL-FO.  I haven't heard back yet from the developers.

Lots of fun!  But who has 72 hours each day to pursue the fun side of all this?

--
Upcoming public training: UBL and code lists Oct 1/5; Madrid Spain
Male Cancer Awareness Jul'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc