ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Updated version of the Customization doc (v0.2)

Stephen,

Thanks for the question.  I will ask OASIS for a clarification.

Jon

   Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 05:23:58 -0700
   From: stephen.green@systml.co.uk

   Again, an excellent document in my opinion and I appreciate
   the changes made. I've hesitated in asking this before but
   maybe there is a legal issue the document might deal with:
   the copyright statement on the OASIS artefacts seems to be
   a little at odds with customisation. Is there an acceptable
   way to create and publish schemas for subsets which can be
   assured NOT to violate the stated OASIS copyright notice?

   "This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published,
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
   provided that the above copyright notice and this section are included
   on all such copies and derivative works."

   This gives the impression it is OK to produce a derivative schema
   for a subset, even if you aren't a UBL group, provided it includes
   the OASIS copyright.

   But:

   "However, this document itself may not be modified in any way,
   including by removing the copyright notice or references to OASIS,
   except as needed for the purpose of developing any document or
   deliverable produced by an OASIS Technical Committee (in which case
   the rules applicable to copyrights, as set forth in the OASIS IPR
   Policy, must be followed) or as required to translate it into
   languages other than English."

   This gives the impression you cannot produce a schema which is a modification
   of the OASIS UBL schema, unless you are a UBL TC group or another OASIS TC.

   Maybe an agreed way to produce a custom-UBL schema without violation
   of any of the copyright notice would not go amiss within the customisation
   guidelines.

   Plus I'm still not convinced the document adequately covers the matter
   of semantic changes - so-called 'semantic drift' - as a reason to customise
   and whether or not customisations of the definitions of BIEs or datatypes
   is compliant or conformant. If compliant, then how to cater specifically
   for such changes in a compliant way. And can a change which only changes
   wording of a definition constitute a conformant customisation? And since
   the change to a definition does affect instance validity does this not
   require a slight modification or qualification of the definition of what
   constitutes a conformant customization?

   Sorry to ask questions which might provoke controversy but I guess they
   have to be asked at some point and now seems to be the time.

   --
   Stephen D. Green

   Partner
   SystML, http://www.systml.co.uk