ubl message

Subject: Minutes of the Manhattan UBL TC meeting, 2008.01.28-02.01

MINUTES OF THE MANHATTAN UBL TC MEETING,
28 JANUARY - 1 FEBRUARY 2008

MONDAY 28 JANUARY 2008: OPENING PLENARY

Attendance

   In person:

      Jon Bosak (chair)
      Mavis Cournane
      Mike Grimley
      G. Ken Holman
      Kim, SungHyuk
      Ole Madsen
      Andy Schoka
      Mike Onder

   By phone:

      Tim McGrath (vice chair)

Report from the chair (Bosak)

   The window for 2.1 input is between April 2008 in Bologna and
   August 2008 in Montréal.

   AGREED that we should aim to have a 2.1 version of the
   Customization Guidelines ready for release with UBL 2.1.  We
   assume that there won't be a lot of new requirements, just
   possible refinement.

   AGREED that we will finish up work on the UBL 2.0 NDR in
   Atlantic TC calls.  First session: 20 February, to include JB,
   MC, MG, GKH, plus BH if available.

   The UBL localization subcommittees will have work to do after
   the changes have been made for the Update Package; the wording
   of some of the definitions has changed.

DKLSC report (Madsen)

   See

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27190

   The next OIOUBL version will be based on UBL 2.1.  The client
   shown in the report is available in both Java and C# versions;
   a translation of the client UI into Italian is underway.

   ACTION: OM to send a list of the online input/output facilities
   for the Support Page.

UN/CEFACT Liaison report (McGrath)

   See

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27189

Federal Community of Practice (Onder)

   The U.S. Department of Transportation has approved a six-month
   exploration of the possibility that DOT could lead a Federal
   Community of Practice for UBL.  Such a CoP would presumably use
   GSA-provided collaborative software in place of ubl-dev, which
   is currently listed in this role as a placeholder.

   MG noted that he is involved in the Universal Core Initiative,
   which is defining a cross-agency core data set.

   ACTION: MG to discuss this initiative with MO.

   GKH: Crane has made a UNLK PDF rendering for UBL Invoice
   available in 12 languages; perhaps Transportation Status could
   be the next doc type to receive this treatment.  A UNLK-like
   format and mapping will be needed to accomplish this.  DOT is
   invited to contribute.

The remaining reports were moved to the Wednesday afternoon
plenary (see below).

TUESDAY 29 JANUARY 2008

   No plenary sessions Tuesday.

WEDNESDAY 30 JANUARY 2008: AFTERNOON PLENARY

Attendance

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Mavis Cournane
   Mike Grimley
   G. Ken Holman
   Kim, SungHyuk
   Ole Madsen
   Andy Schoka

SBSC/HISC report (Holman)

   Gruffudd Williams has had to withdraw due to other commitments.
   Mark Seaborne of picoforms is working on XForms input; we will
   be discussing his participation later in the week.  OM is
   helping with mappings to UNLK.  In sum: SBSC has a manpower
   issue, because Gruffud's prototype was to have been used for
   SBSC.  HISC is still in need of mappings; note that the
   formatting specifications produced by HISC are exemplars or
   guidelines, not normative.

KRLSC report (Kim)

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27194

ESLSC report

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27191

ITLSC report

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27192

JPLSC report

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27193

TSC report (Schoka)

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27195

THURSDAY 31 JANUARY 2008: MORNING PLENARY

Attendance

   In person:

      Jon Bosak (chair)
      Mike Grimley
      G. Ken Holman
      Kim, SungHyuk
      Ole Madsen
      Andy Schoka

   By phone:

      Tim McGrath (vice chair)

Adoption SC

   OASIS has suggested the formation of a UBL focus area in the
   OASIS domain at ubl.xml.org.  This would be implemented as a
   wiki; see dita.xml.org for an example.  It would support file
   sharing, news events, software downloads, etc.  The site would
   both provide for a more interactive environment for the support
   of UBL and a collaborative site through which organizations
   implementing UBL could share experience in a more proactive way
   than can be accomplished via the existing UBL Support Page.  As
   with dita.xml.org, the site would be maintained by an editorial
   committee.  OASIS has suggested that the most logical way to
   form the editorial committee would be as an "Adoption
   Subcommittee" of the UBL TC.

   Advantages of this approach would include:

    - Moving the current UBL Support Page to a more interactive
      environment

    - Differentiating the function of the TC in developing
      standards from adoption and implementation activities

    - Increasing visibility (these focus areas are promoted at
      OASIS symposia)

    - Maintaining TC ownership via the Adoption Subcommittee

   OASIS requires at least one site sponsor; TM's new company,
   Document Engineering Services Ltd., has been accepted as the
   first sponsor.

   AGREED to the following plan for approval by the TC via letter
   ballot:

   1. We accept the offer to create the ubl.xml.org site.

   2. We accept the suggestion from OASIS to form a UBL Adoption
      Subcommittee as the ubl.xml.org editorial board.

   3. We request the formation of the new Adoption Subcommittee,
      keeping the existing SSC (Support Page) live during the
      transition and eventually redirecting from there to the new
      ASC.

   4. We appoint G. Ken Holman as both head of the editorial board
      and chair of the ASC, and we appoint the following UBL TC
      members to consitute the editorial board and the membership
      of the ASC:

      Oriol Bausa
      Mikkel Brun
      Roberto Cisternino
      Tony Coates
      Asuman Dogac
      Martin Forsberg
      Mike Grimley
      Tim McGrath

   ACTION: JB to send default letter ballot to the TC.

Customization Guidelines

   TM: Examples needed and compatibility section needs to be
   expanded, e.g., semantic equivalence per SG:

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200801/msg00019.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200801/msg00021.html

   ACTION: TM to draft a paragraph on semantic equivalence that
   will go somewhere around section 3.2.1.

   ACTION: AS to create a tree diagram.

   ACTION: MG to prepare a revised draft of Chapter 1 (the current
   sections 1-3) in time for people to review before the next
   Pacific call.

Subcommittee participation

   ACTION: For TSC: AS to ask Mike Onder for suitable contacts at
   Fedex, UPS, DHL, Menlo, etc.; JB to send message regarding the
   window of opportunity for inputs to UBL 2.1; MG to continue to
   pursue opportunities to find people in DoD/DoN, perhaps arrange
   for a presentation from USDOT.

   ACTION: For HISC: JB to put out notice regarding HISC openings
   to ubl-dev, including layout design and mappings for
   transportation and catalogue documents.

   SBSC is stalled after reassignment of cochair; AGREED to
   suspend SBSC activity for the moment and see how BITS proceeds
   on resumption of the PSC in April.

   THURSDAY 31 JANUARY 2008: AFTERNOON PLENARY

   All business scheduled for the afternoon session was completed
   during the morning plenary; however, the phone line was opened
   at 15:00 EST as scheduled to allow remote participation.
   Attending the afternoon session were Jon Bosak (chair), Mike
   Grimley, G. Ken Holman, and Andy Schoka.  The meeting was
   adjourned at 16:01 EST, no one having dialed in and no formal
   business except adjournment having been conducted.

FRIDAY 1 FEBRUARY 2008

   No plenary sessions Friday.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC