ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] An incorrect element citation in the NDR

NDR has been updated to read "Empty elements MUST not be declared, except in the case of extension, where the UBL 'ExtensionContent' element is used".

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 06 May 2008 2035
To: ubl@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ubl] An incorrect element citation in the NDR

I found something else regarding the NDR during the UBL class that I taught last week.

At 2008-05-06 16:47 -0700, jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:
>AGENDA FOR ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
>15:00 - 17:00 UTC WEDNESDAY 7 MAY 2008
>http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=5&day=7&year
>=2008&hour=15&min=0&sec=0
>UBL 2.0 NDR EDITORIAL REVIEW (TRACKING)
>
>    We need to add a section on code list metadata; see
>
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200803/msg00001.html

I'm pretty sure this mistake has been around for many editions, but I've confirmed it is also in the edition distributed with this posting:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200803/msg00007.html

Rule ELD7 in section 5.4 Empty elements reads:

   "[ELD7] Empty elements MUST not be declared, except in the
   case of extension, where the 'UBL Extensions' element is used."

This sentence is referencing the incorrect element.  I believe it should read as:

   "[ELD7] Empty elements MUST not be declared, except in the
   case of extension, where the 'UBL ExtensionContent' element is used."

This is because the <ext:ExtensionContent> declaration allows that element to be empty, while both the <ext:UBLExtension> and <ext:UBLExtensions> element declarations do not allow either one to be empty.

An NDR rule cannot allow something that is not allowed by the schema expressions, so I'm supposing that the review of this rule didn't catch that the incorrect element was being referenced.  Probably my oversight.

I note that the correct element is cited in the additional document constraint [IND5] in section 6.3 of
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/UBL-2.0.html#d0e3645 where it reads:

    "[IND5] UBL conformant instance documents MUST NOT contain an element
    devoid of content or containing null values, except in the case of
    extension, where the UBL ExtensionContent element is used."

To recap, the <ext:ExtensionContent> element is allowed to be empty because a receiving or intermediate process may need to elide all content in unrecognized namespaces, thus resulting in this element being empty.  Note that the sibling meta data for the extension is not elided because it is in a UBL namespace, thus allowing the application to detect the presence and (if included) identity of an extension without having to have the actual extension present in the instance.

I hope this helps.

Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc