ubl message

Subject: [Fwd: Informal meeting on the convergence between UN/CEFACT and UBL]

As the UBL Liaison with CEN/ISSS BII and UN/CEFACT I have been invited
to participate in an informal meeting on the convergence between
UN/CEFACT and UBL organized by the European Commission's DG ENTR/D4 "ICT
for Competitiveness and Innovation" programme on 15 October 2008. (see
attached invitiation)
I am seeking input from the members of the TC (ideas or issues) that you
believe may be relevant to these discussions.  Please email me privately
with your thoughts (ie. do not reply to the list) and I will attempt to
incorporate these into my report.

--- Begin Message ---
Title: Informal meeting on the convergence between UN/CEFACT and UBL

Dear All,

CEN/ISSS launched the BII Workshop in May 2007.  Its Business Plan mentions the UN/CEFACT-OASIS collaboration aiming at building a common set of UN/CEFACT document standards fully compliant with UN/CEFACT and under the UN/CEFACT umbrella organisation.  The Business Plan states that "one of the main objectives of the Workshop will be to contribute to UBL-UN/CEFACT convergence by providing a standardized approach to the practical implementation of the relevant specifications. This will help measure the consequences of this convergence on current projects."

Some stakeholders are claiming that the Workshop in not really pursuing such convergence, and thus appropriate measures should be taken to redress the situation.  The debate on the convergence is also relevant to the work of the Expert Group on e-invoicing that was set up by the European Commission at the end of October 2007.

On behalf of Costas Andropoulos, Head of Unit DG ENTR/D4 "ICT for Competitiveness and Innovation",  I am pleased to invite you to participate in this informal meeting that will serve to get a clear picture about the current status of the convergence, and on its implications and progress.  The Draft Agenda is as follows:

                *   UN/CEFACT
                *   ISO TC68
                *   others (PEPPOL project, IDABC e-Invoicing & e-Ordering for Public Procurement, …)

The meeting will take place on 15 October 2008 from 15:30 to 17:30 in the DG Enterprise and Industry premises (Breydel building, Avenue d'Auderghem 45 - 1040 Brussels), room BREY 8/138.  Those of you who are not able to come to the meeting, may join it through an audio conference service by dialling +32 2 6008837.

You are kindly invited to confirm your physical or remote participation to Catherine Matthews (who is in copy).  Meanwhile don't hesitate to contact me if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Antonio Conte
Principal Administrator
European Commission - DG Enterprise and Industry
Unit D4 "ICT for Competitiveness and Innovation"