ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 12 November 2008

At 2008-11-13 18:08 -0500, Jon Bosak wrote:
>MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
>WEDNESDAY 12 NOVEMBER 2008
>UBL 2.0 NDR EDITORIAL REVIEW
>
>    We reviewed and resolved substantive issues from MG and a few
>    from JB.
>
>    ACTION: JB to ask GKH why the word SHOULD is used in SSM19
>    instead of MUST as in SSM12.

Looks like it should be "MUST" to me, though this wasn't an issue of
mine to start with.  As I recall the idea of the "schema header" is
something formalized by the editors in an early version of the
NDR.  I think perhaps my name came to mind because I recently
questioned the worth of having it in the rules, and I thought we came
to the conclusion it was unharmful.

This "schema header" formalism is simply a structured comment block,
not something that could ever be validated by a schema tool ... I
suppose one could write an arbitrary program to inspect the comment
content and decipher content found therein.

Given this is a UBL invention and not a standardized schema
construct, we get to make our own rules for it.  Would we want to
judge a schema fragment non-conformant if the schema header were
absent or somehow malformed?  I think it was decided the answer was
"yes" because the NDR is directing the "model to schema" writer on
what to put into the schema.

Therefore, would its absence in qDT be "normal"?  I think not, so to
be consistent I think it should be "MUST" (must be "MUST"?).  But I'm
soft on this because it is a UBL invention and not a standardized construct.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg