ubl message

Subject: Concept of code list templates for UBL 2.1

One of the questions coming up for the UBL 2.1
packaging we'll be prototyping in Montréal is that of "template code lists".

This would entail a couple of changes to the strategy document I posted here:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=33456

This was a hidden or implicit concept in UBL 2.0
regarding information items that were governed by
coded lists but for which there were no code
lists to use.  Through automation I synthesized
metadata-only genericode files for all of the
information items that we didn't have code lists
for and I put these in the same directory as the
genericode files we did have code lists for.

An information item pointing to a metadata-only
genericode file is unconstrained because there
are no codes specified to constrain the edited
value.  As a result, all of these references to
metadata-only files end up being ignored in the
UBL 2.0 defaultcodelist.xsl validation step, as they should.

But they clutter up the cl/gc/default
directory.  But they belonged there because of
the <LocationURI> element in the metadata pointed
to that default directory for all non-supplementary component code lists.

Oh, that brings up another distinction that was
unclear in the UBL 2.0 code list
directories:  the "cl/gc/cefact" directory is
poorly named because these are the code lists
that govern CCTS supplementary components, not
the code lists that are from UN/CEFACT (because
in the "cl/gc/default" directory there is, for
example, the payment means code list from
UN/CEFACT).  The SGTG proposal abandons this and
puts all code lists in the "cl/gc/default" directory.

So we need to rethink the contents of and
breakdown of files and directories in the UBL 2.1
distribution to make more overall sense to users.

I think we need to consider:

   1) - distinguishing genericode files we write for code lists sourced from
        UN/CEFACT (not just those used in supplementary components); and in
        future deliveries (unless ICG gets their act together soon with some
        genericode 1.0 files for code lists) we can use this directory for
        the genericode files they publish rather than the ones we publish for
        our use of their codes
      - is this a useful distinction?  the current SGTG proposal doesn't make
        this distinction, so does it add anything for the user looking for
        code list files (perhaps not since they probably don't know which files
        are from UN/CEFACT and which are not)

   2) - distinguishing metadata-only genericode
files from genericode files that
        actually have codes in them
      - these might be considered "template" genericode files but more
        accurately are just genericode files with only metadata and no codes
      - I'm questioning the utility of these templates as anyone could use
        an existing genericode file as a template, and does it make sense
        to have a file that doesn't contribute to the validation process?

   3) - reducing the CVA file as prototyped in
the SGTG proposal to only specify
        those code lists with codes and not to specify the metadata-only
        genericode files since (a) they don't participate in validation and
        (b) they don't leave the impression to the reader of the CVA file that
        an information item is qualified when, at the end of the day, it is
        not qualified.

Thanks for your thoughts on this on the UBL TC
list, plus we can discuss these items at the next teleconference.

. . . . . . . . . Ken

p.s. I think my own preferences for answers to
the above questions, as I'll bring up at the meeting, are:

   (1) *not* to distinguish in different
directories genericode files for code lists of
UN/CEFACT and code lists from other sources, just
put all code lists that are in play in to the
single proposed "cl/gc/default/" directory;
   (2) abandon "template" metadata-only
genericode files since they don't add anything to
the validation process and any other genericode
file can be used as a template; and
   (3) remove references to metadata-only
genericode files from the CVA file of qualified
information items to remove the "clutter" and so
that readers looking in the CVA file only see
references to genericode files that actually have
codes (thus quickly being able to tell which are
bona fide qualifications rather than placebo qualifications).

--
In-depth XSLT/XQuery hands-on training - Oakland/CA/USA 2009-08-03
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc