ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Proposed addition to 2.1 documented constraints - no schema location hints

At 2009-10-15 21:07 +0100, Stephen Green wrote:
>Just reading Roberto's comments and I think I
>agree but would go further: the implementations
>of XML are really responsible for ensuring they
>can handle the essentials of modern XML
>technology like schemaLocation and multiple
>prefixes and namespaces.

But schemaLocation isn't part of XML while the other parts are.

>then why worry about what is a core feature of XML?
>The use of schemaLocation is pretty much the usual
>use of XML

I wholeheartedly disagree.  It is presumptive vocabulary outside of
the reserved XML namespace.  Your line of reasoning makes it a hidden
facet of the UBL vocabulary that would need to be accommodated
explicitly in a RELAX-NG schema when it has a role no more important
than a processing instruction, yet it is far more intrusive than a
processing instruction.

>whereas requiring the prevention of empty
>elements is, I think, rather an obscure use of XML.

Fine.

But xsi:schemaLocation is W3C Schema baggage that doesn't belong in
an XML *interchange* document:

At 2009-10-15 12:55 -0400, I wrote:
> > Having chosen the W3C Schema syntax to express the semantics of
> the document
> > constraints has brought this in along as baggage ... if one were to create,
> > say, a RELAX-NG model of the UBL schemas, that model would necessarily need
> > to include in it a declaration of an optional xsi:schemaLocation to
> > accommodate that it is implicitly allowed by our choice of schema
> > expression.

It may be just fine for a document reserved for use within a
particular system where such a hint is useful for that system.

But I sincerely believe platform dependencies have no role in an
interchange document and can only introduce problems for recipients.

But if the committee feels this isn't something we need to worry
about, then my task of bringing the subject up for discussion is satisfied.

Thanks!

--
Upcoming: hands-on code list, UBL, XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO classes
in Copenhagen Denmark and Washington DC USA, October/November 2009