ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Urgent: problems with Candidate Release 1 of spreadsheets

see my responses below....

G. Ken Holman wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Tim, can you please confirm if I've remembered this cardinality issue
> correctly?  The exemplar is that Address Line is an ASBIE to an ABIE
> of one line because I thought we couldn't have repeated cardinality on
> an address line BBIE.

yes this is the guideline we follow although for historical reasons some
have slipped through the next and cannot be changed without breaking
backward compatibility.  it follows from the data modeling concept that
if a BBIE has multiple occurrences in an ABIE then the BBIE is not
functionally dependent on the ABIE and belongs somewhere else - joined
by a multiple cardinality ASBIE.  the case of different language
representations is not technically multiple occurrences of the BBIE
(e.g. different Descriptions) but repetition of the same BBIE in another
language (e.g. all the Descriptions have the same meaning it is just the
language that changes).
> Also, Tim, could you please confirm that the cardinality on notes is
> not for accommodating multiple paragraphs or multiple notes but for
> accommodating multiple representations of the same set of notes, as in
> multiple languages distinguished by the languageID= attribute?  I know
> that some members (including myself) originally thought that the
> cardinality of 0..n on cbc:Note provided for multiple different notes,
> and I just wanted to make sure I didn't get mixed up in my
> understanding along the way.

see above to confirm your understanding.
> With that in mind, perhaps the cardinality on items like instructions
> is the same:  "0..n" is for multiple languages of the one set of
> instructions, and that if I have three instructions I put them all in
> one instruction element.  To extend this to the Address Line example,
> if we want to model multiple instructions, then we have to use an
> ASBIE to a one-item ABIE with a "1..n" BBIE where each ASBIE is an
> instruction and each BBIE is a language variant of that instruction.

I think any Text or Name or Note can follow the multiple language case
for multiple/repeated occurrences.  So many of the exceptions you noted
are actually OK.  What does worry me is the Codes and Identifiers.
These (almost by definition) are not capable of different
expression/languages for the same thing.  So they could only be these to
allow multiple different values!.  So i think we need to examine these
and their ABIE more closely.  Perhaps not now but as part of the PRD1
review.
> I don't know if this rule is in the NDR, or if it is that it is well
> known given the intuition to put cardinality on an item when we want
> many of them, not realizing it means in UBL many variants of one.  I
> suspect many of the new constructs were not modeled with this in
> mind.  Mavis, can you please check the NDR for this?
doesn't the NDR simply implement the cardinality of the models? do we
need an NDR rule for this?

> [...]
> "Item Property. Value. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Item. Brand Name. Name" (old): 0..n
> "Item. Keyword. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Item. Model Name. Name" (old): 0..n
> "Package. Packing Material. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Payment Mandate. Clause Code. Code" (new): 0..n
> "Payment Mandate. Clause. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Payment Means. Payment Identifier. Identifier" (old): 0..n
> "Payment Terms. Payment Means Identifier. Identifier" (old): 0..n
> "Period. Description Code. Code" (old): 0..n
> "Price. Price Change_ Reason. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Process Justification. Reason. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Procurement Project. Name" (new): 1..n
> "Qualification Resolution. Exclusion Reason. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Qualification Resolution. Resolution. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Qualifying Party. Personal Situation. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Regulation. Name" (new): 1..n
> "Service Provider Party. Service Type. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Shipment. Delivery_ Instructions. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Shipment. Special_ Instructions. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Status. Condition Value. Measure" (new): 0..n
> "Status. Status_ Reason. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Status. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Stowage. Location. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Supplier Party. Additional_ Account Identifier. Identifier" (old): 0..n
> "Tender Line. Orderable_ Unit. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tender Line. Warranty_ Information. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tender Preparation. Procurement Project Lot. Identifier" (new): 0..n
> "Tender Receipt. Contract Name. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tender Requirement. Name" (new): 0..n
> "Tender. Contract Name. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tenderer Party Qualification. Interested Procurement Lots Identifier.
> Identifier" (new): 0..n
> "Tenderer Qualification Request. Legal Form. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tenderer Qualification Request. Personal Situation. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tenderer Qualification Response. Contract Name. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tenderer Requirement. Name" (new): 0..n
> "Tendering Terms. Funding_ Program. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tendering Terms. Penalty Clauses. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Tendering Terms. Price Revision_ Formula Description. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Trade Financing. Clause Code. Code" (new): 0..n
> "Trade Financing. Clause. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Trading Terms. Information. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Transport Execution Plan. Transport Service Provider_ Remarks. Text"
> (new): 0..n
> "Transport Execution Plan. Transport User_ Remarks. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Transport Execution Terms. Change Conditions. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Transport Execution Terms. Transport Service Provider_ Special Terms.
> Text" (new): 0..n
> "Transport Execution Terms. Transport User_ Special Terms. Text"
> (new): 0..n
> "Transport Handling Unit. Damage_ Remarks. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Transport Handling Unit. Shipping_ Marks. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Transport Means. Registration_ Nationality. Text" (old): 0..n
> "Transport Status. Remarks. Text" (new): 0..n
> "Waybill. Other_ Instruction. Text" (old): 0..n

begin:vcard
fn:Tim McGrath
n:McGrath;Tim
org:Document Engineering Services Ltd.