ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 3 November 2010

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
WEDNESDAY 3 NOVEMBER 2010

ATTENDANCE

    Peter Borresen
    Jon Bosak (chair)
    Betty Harvey
    G. Ken Holman
    Ken Vaughn

STANDING ITEMS

    Additions to the calendar:
       http://ubl.xml.org/events

       None.

    Review of Pacific call minutes

       No comments.

UBL 2.1 STATUS

    PLB: The PSC has reviewed 80 issues and formed a solution team
    to meet and resolve these issues before the end of the review
    period 24 November.  PLB will be in touch with AS regarding TSC
    issues.

UBL NDR WORK

    See discussion below following our usual agenda and tracking
    items.

NDR CHECK (NIST TOOL)

    Nothing new this week.

PROCUREMENT SUBCOMMITTEE COCHAIR

    PLB: We will wait for the upcoming PSC F2F meeting to discuss
    this.

2011 UBL TC F2F MEETING SCHEDULE

    30 May - 3 June 2011

       Ankara, Turkey, at Middle Eastern Technical University

    October/November 2011

       As we agreed some time ago, GKH is checking to see whether
       we can secure a meeting venue in Ottawa.

TC CONCALL SCHEDULE

    Next week, DST will end in North America, and the UTC times for
    our Atlantic and Pacific calls will shift *forward* one hour to
    maintain the usual call times in North America and Europe.

    Week of 2010.11.15 Regular schedule
    Week of 2010.11.22 >>> NO MEETINGS <<<
    Week of 2010.11.29 Regular schedule
    Week of 2010.12.06 Regular schedule
    Week of 2010.12.13 Regular schedule
    Week of 2010.12.20 >>> NO MEETINGS <<<
    Week of 2010.12.27 >>> NO MEETINGS <<<
    Week of 2011.01.03 Regular schedule

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC

TRACKING ITEMS

    UBL 2.1 NDR ILLUSTRATIONS

    UBL 2.0 NDR IMPLEMENTATION GUIDE WIKI

       http://wiki.oasis-open.org/ubl/NDR_2.0_Implementation_Guide

    CCTS 2.01 DMR

       ACTION (2009.06.30): TM to circulate a draft CCTS 2.01 DMR
       to the TC for review.

       Pending.

UBL NDR WORK

    As planned, most of a very productive meeting was spent
    discussing the issues raised by KV in this message:

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201010/msg00000.html

    The issue numbers in what follows all refer to the numbering in
    the message above.

    Issue 7. Extensions

       See message from GKH at

       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201010/msg00022.html

       (Note that the line

          <corpx:CorpXOtherItem>abc</corpx:CorpXOther>

       should read

          <corpx:CorpXOtherItem>abc</corpx:CorpXOtherItem>

       I.e., this is not intended as an example of
       non-wellformedness.)

       JB: Please review the original motivation for the extension
       mechanism.

       GKH: The original purpose was to provide a home within an
       instance for non-UBL constructs (as required, for example,
       between two trading partners) in such a way that the
       document instance is not considered invalid by other parties
       and therefore rejected.  It provides a safe home for
       information that you may or may not care about.  If you
       care, then you can write a schema that does validate the
       added information.  We've implemented this in a way that
       enables validation simply by changing a single schema
       fragment that is referenced by all of the document schemas.

       JB: What gets validated if KV's approach is accepted?

       GKH: Exactly what you want to be validated; everything else
       [in the extension area] is ignored.  So if a party agreeing
       to specific extension content doesn't follow the agreement
       and sends something that's not in conformance with the
       agreement, the nonconformant piece is simply ignored.

       KV: Note that in a multiple-trading-partner situation, the
       partners will add extensions as needed; that is, an instance
       may contain multiple extensions for multiple partners, some
       of which should be ignored by any partner in particular.

       PLB: This is the behavior we want.  Validation belongs to
       the particular subset; it's customization-dependent.

       JB: What changes between PRD1 and PRD2 if we accept KV's
       approach?

       GKH: We would substitute a different schema extension
       fragment.  In operational terms, the change means that the
       second example [with typo corrected] under #2 in the message
       of 30 October linked above will be caught by PRD1 but
       ignored by PRD2.  In other words, an instance containing an
       unexpected apex element will be marked as valid.

       JB: Do we want to adopt this change?

       GKH: In this case, simplicity wins over completeness.  PRD1
       didn't provide a complete validation solution anyway due to
       limitations in W3C Schema (none of this presents a problem
       in Relax NG).

       KV: We could provide both approaches in PRD2; after all,
       this is a customization issue.

       BH/JB: Having one way in the release is best.

          AGREED to keep things simple by providing just one schema
          fragment and documenting the alternative.

       JB: The proposed approach will require downstream processing
       to catch and deal with an unexpected apex element.  But we
       don't (shouldn't) be relying on validation to resolve all
       possible issues anyway.

          AGREED to adopt KV's suggestion.

          ACTION: GKH to revise the extension module, the signature
          module, and the related documentation.  (GKH has already
          signed up to revise the Digital Signature Profile
          document for review by the UBL Security SC.)

    The group then turned its attention to the remaining six issues
    from KV's message of 1 October.

    Issue 1: Core Component Parameters Schema
    Issue 2: DEN terminology

       JB: These are both CCTS-related documentation issues
       (agreed) and as such, items to be worked on by an (as yet
       undefined) NDR work team.

    Issue 3. Naming rules

       JB: This relates to a straightforward but quite substantial
       work item: Start with current practice (where consistent!)
       and make sure that the rules correctly describe it.

       GKH: It ties into proposed UBL Modeling Guidelines as well.

          AGREED (provisionally) to form an NDR Team consisting of
          KV, BH, GKH, MG and MC to work on these items.

          ACTION: KV and BH (together with MG if available) to meet
          in person in or around DC and include MC (if available)
          and GKH by phone; follow up with MG and MC via email
          review and possible additional telcons.

    Issue 4. Why not allow xsd:choice (aka OR groups) in UBL?

       JB: Here is a relevant thread from 2004 (note that this is
       not exhaustive of the discussion of the subject that led up
       to its treatment in the original UBL Naming and Design
       Rules):

       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200401/msg00009.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200401/msg00010.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200401/msg00011.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200401/msg00012.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200401/msg00013.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200401/msg00016.html

       The question at this point is whether there is a genuine UBL
       use case that demands OR groups.

       GKH: Worried about introducing a different way of doing
       things this late in the game.  As Eve Maler noted in the
       thread above, we can't express OR groups in our
       spreadsheets.  The usual use case for OR is addressed in UBL
       by providing optional alternatives; coincidentally, this
       issue has come up today in a discussion on ubl-dev:

       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/201011/msg00000.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/201011/msg00001.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/201011/msg00002.html
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/201011/msg00003.html
       [and subsequent posts]

       KV: ITS (ISO TC 204) sees no reason to exclude xsd:choice.
       It's agreed that this wouldn't break UBL backward
       compatibility, and while there's no strong preference for
       xsd:choice in future UBL documents, it would be an advantage
       in developing sets of NDR that are broader than UBL's.

       GKH: Are there mutually exclusive properties in UML?

       KV: No for BBIEs, yes for ASBIEs.

       GKH: So xsd:choice would only be used at the ASBIE level and
       mutual exclusion would otherwise have to be implemented by
       layering on business rules, just as in UBL.

       KV: Suggestion: we better document the decision to exclude
       xsd:choice in the NDR so that users outside of UBL are aware
       of the alternatives.

       GKH/JB: We don't want to make support for xsd:choice a
       requirement for UBL tools.

          AGREED that in the absence (so far) of a compelling UBL
          use case for xsd:choice, the tools issue means that we
          won't touch the original decision in the UBL 2 life cycle
          except for documentation.

          ACTION: The NDR Team (see above) to note in the revised
          NDR document that the UBL decision to exclude xsd:choice
          doesn't necessarily apply to all efforts.

    Issue 5. Why do we include complexType definitions in the
    Common Basic Components?  (There are 821 cbc elements and 821
    corresponding abstract types.)

       JB: It's clear that the extra level of abstraction adds to
       the complexity of the design.

       GKH: This is not a reason to change it now.

       JB: Why did we do this?

       KV: E.g., "...nametype..." vs. "text"....

       GKH: Because without the abstract types we lose the business
       semantics and would just be doing text processing.  That's
       why it was structured this way.

       KV: This should be explained in the documentation.  A larger
       question is how generally applicable we're trying to make
       the NDR.  For example, ITS (ISO TC 204) is revising how to
       use XML and will be using its own data registry conventions
       rather than CC naming conventions, though it's conceptually
       similar.  So there are issues around how we explain things.
       We need a widely recognized standard.

       JB: This is largely a resource problem.

       KV: (Offers to spend time developing an OASIS NDR Standard
       that is flexible enough to extend but not specifically
       generic in parallel with the ISO ITS Standard)

          AGREED to work toward eventual OASIS Standardization of
          the UBL 2 NDR.

          ACTION: The NDR Team (above) to identify generalization
          points within the UBL NDR document.

    Issue 6. Requiring code list version identification

       JB: It appears to be agreed that the mechanism is in place
       to do this, but currently the metadata is optional.  We
       can't change this to "required" in UBL 2, so for now this is
       a user problem.

       GKH: It's just another business rule if a particular
       community wants to make the meta mandatory.

       AGREED to document this as a usability or "best practices"
       issue in a future revision of the Guidelines for
       Customization.