ubl message

Subject: Some PRD1 feedback

Fellow UBL TC members,

I'm not convinced I've remembered everything I thought of but didn't
write down, but when trying to recall issues I've got these four items:

(1) The latest UN/CEFACT country list includes #189-SERBIA & MONTENEGRO:

    http://www.unece.org/cefact/recommendations/country.htm

... but the code list we are using in PRD1 is the one from 2006 and
doesn't have this code.  I tripped over that one because of my
training, but I wonder if there are other lists available for us to
update for PRD1.

In PRD1 we have the following code lists:

AllowanceChargeReasonCode-2.1.gc
BinaryObjectMimeCode-2.1.gc
ChannelCode-2.1.gc
CurrencyCode-2.1.gc
PackagingTypeCode-2.1.gc
PaymentMeansCode-2.1.gc
TransportEquipmentTypeCode-2.1.gc
TransportModeCode-2.1.gc
UnitOfMeasureCode-2.1.gc

In 2006 we had the following code lists:

Those related to core component supplementary values (all have been
updated above):

BinaryObjectMimeCode-2.0.gc
CurrencyCode-2.0.gc
UnitOfMeasureCode-2.0.gc

Those not related to core component supplementary values (only some
have been updated above):

AllowanceChargeReasonCode-2.0.gc
ChannelCode-2.0.gc
ChipCode-2.0.gc
CountryIdentificationCode-2.0.gc
DocumentStatusCode-2.0.gc
LatitudeDirectionCode-2.0.gc
LineStatusCode-2.0.gc
LongitudeDirectionCode-2.0.gc
OperatorCode-2.0.gc
PackagingTypeCode-2.0.gc
PaymentMeansCode-2.0.gc
SubstitutionStatusCode-2.0.gc
TransportEquipmentTypeCode-2.0.gc
TransportModeCode-2.0.gc
TransportationStatusCode-2.0.gc

Can we make updated genericode files with the latest country code
list and perhaps other lists not related to core component
supplementary values?

(2) Regarding location coordinates, it was discussed back in March
that we needed a cardinality of more than one in order to describe
polygonal areas instead of only point areas:

At 2010-03-11 06:42 -0500, Jon Bosak wrote:
>MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
>WEDNESDAY 10 MARCH 2010
>    PLB: A single item was revised: the cardinality of Location
>    Coordinates was changed.  We should specify a BIE for Area, but
>    we can pick this up along with other changes following the
>    first public review.  The changes were made around noon on
>    Monday.

I'm looking at all of the ASBIEs for location coordinates and they
all appear to be still 0..1 and not 0..n (but see note below in (4):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-AllDocuments-2.1.html#t-CommonLibrary-41
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-AllDocuments-2.1.html#t-CommonLibrary-1083
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-AllDocuments-2.1.html#t-CommonLibrary-1689

But, perhaps we shouldn't increase the cardinality of location
coordinate because the collection of coordinates makes up a new
semantic being a location region.  Since the region is a new semantic
do we need a new "location region" ABIE and have two ASBIEs: the
existing "location coordinate" for a point location and a new
"location region" for an area location?  The "location region" would
then contain one-or-more "location coordinate" elements.

Or, do we just have a community interpret a set of location
coordinates to implicitly describe a region rather than a set of
individual unrelated location coordinates?

I'm not the business expert, just the angle-bracket guy, so I don't
know which of the two ways to proceed ... I just know *someone* asked
us to describe an area and I don't think we have that in PRD1.

(3) Many description fields have non-Latin-1 characters in them, such
as "smart quotes" (Unicode curly quote characters) for an
example.  Of course Unicode characters are allowed in XML, and so
there is nothing really *wrong* with those descriptions.  But some of
my software tripped over the non-Latin-1 characters.  Others might be
using the descriptions not expecting the full Unicode set to be
used.  I suggest we tighten up our rules for descriptions not to
allow all Unicode characters, but only Latin-1 characters.

If this is agreed, I can add a "model check" to my SGTG package to
report those spreadsheet cells that include non-Latin-1 characters.

(4) I brought up earlier that there are many tautological
definitions.  By this I mean a "definition" that defines nothing and
only explains what is already obvious simply by the construct.

An example is the aforementioned location coordinate ASBIE in Address:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-AllDocuments-2.1.html#t-CommonLibrary-41

The definition is:   "An association to Location Coordinate."

This tells *nothing* new to the user they don't already know simply
from the fact that it is an ASBIE and that the associated object
class is location coordinate.

Thankfully, the second and third ASBIE elements cited above *do* have
a definition that is slightly better:  "Information about physical
(geographical) location."

Depending on the decision for (2) above, a better description might
be  "A physical (geographical) location described by a point or a set
of related points."  And even different if we decide to have both a
location coordinate and a location region as separate ABIEs.

But there are *so* many of these tautological definitions.  When I
walk through the model with someone new to UBL I would like them to
tell me which elements they want by reading the definitions and
knowing how the elements are expected to be used/interpreted.  What
is happening now is I'm hand-holding them through the pruning process
and we come up with a definition like "An association to Location
Coordinate" and they ask "so what does that mean and do I need
it?".  I can't answer them when I don't know *why* the construct is
in the ABIE.  The definition should be telling me what it is
semantically, not what it is syntactically.

(5) I'm on the hook for a revision to the prose sections related to
the extension mechanism and the revised SGTG schema modules for PRD2.

(6) I'm on the hook for a revision to the digital signature
methodology document from the Security SC for PRD2.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you can think of
anything else anyone is expecting from me for PRD2.  If there are
other obligations from me, I can't recall them this evening and need
to be prodded.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training