ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 2011.02.28-03.01

MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING
TUESDAY 1 MARCH 2011

ATTENDANCE

    Jon Bosak (chair)
    Tim McGrath (vice chair)
    Andy Schoka

STANDING ITEMS

    Additions to the calendar:
       http://ubl.xml.org/events

       None.

    Review of Atlantic call minutes

       No comments.

UBL 2.1 STATUS

    PSC (TM): We're on track; waiting to generate schemas.

    TSC (AS): Had to cancel last week's meeting, but on for tomorrow
    morning.

    Documentation (JB): Nothing new this week.

UBL 2.1 MODELING ISSUES

    See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201102/msg00028.html

    TM: We've been through this twice before.  In UBL 1.0, we wrote
    verbose definitions; in 2.0, we started to refine for consistency,
    then assigned the job to Mark Leitch for a complete rewrite.  Mark
    got halfway through and came to the conclusion that going beyond the
    information implied by the DEN itself would create more ambiguity
    than it removed; his argument was that the DEN tells you all you need
    to know about an item, and the definition just tells you how to use
    it.  So we ended up creating the definitions for the ASBIEs from
    their DENs by formula.

    Trying to create the definitions collectively won't work -- it would
    just involve the group in endless debate; and dividing the task
    between TSC and PSC would be even worse.  We could revise the formula
    along the lines suggested by JB, however.

       ACTION: TM to investigate whether we can formalize JB's suggestion
       to create a script or even just a manually applied formula to the
       ASBIE definitions and report findings in next week's Pacific call.

TC CONCALL SCHEDULE

    JB has a conflict with the Pacific call 14|15 March.

       AGREED to skip the Pacific call 14|15 March.  JB will check with
       Atlantic participants regarding the Atlantic call that week.

    Week of 2011.03.07 Regular schedule - missing GKH, AS
    Week of 2011.03.14 Regular schedule - missing GKH; may cancel
    Week of 2011.03.21 Regular schedule - missing GKH
    Week of 2011.03.28 Regular schedule - missing AS 3/30
    Week of 2011.04.04 Regular schedule
    Week of 2011.04.11 Regular schedule - missing AS
    Week of 2011.04.18 Regular schedule
    Week of 2011.04.25 Regular schedule

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC