ubl message

Subject: Minutes of the UBL TC meeting in Kars 19-23 September 2011

My apologies to the group for my tardiness in finishing up these
minutes from Kars.  I see that a couple of things have fallen off the
table in the interim; we'll discuss these next week.  Please send
corrections if you see anything incorrect or missing.  -- Jon

MINUTES OF THE UBL TC MEETING IN KARS 19-23 SEPTEMBER 2011

OPENING PLENARY 19 SEPTEMBER 2011

ATTENDANCE

   Present in Kars:

      Jon Bosak (chair)
      Mavis Cournane
      G. Ken Holman
      Andy Schoka

   Attending by phone:

      Arianna Brutti
      Andrea Caccia
      Betty Harvey
      Sven Rassmussen
      Ken Vaughn

REPORTS

   Report from the chair: (slides posted the day of the meeting).

   HISC: GKH reports no activity -- no requests, no outstanding items.  Nothing
   happening until/unless someone has a human interface problem.

   SGTG: GKH has delivered three strawman models to the Business
   Document Envelope Team; TM is convening a meeting to discuss.  GKH
   will be creating a process to go from spreadsheets to genericode
   files to xsd for schema Q/A; the revised NDR will describe both parts
   of the process.

   SBSC: We have received a number of contributions from Stephen Green
   proposing additional conformance clauses for a subset profile.  We
   think this is a separate deliverable, whereas SG thinks this should
   be in the conformance clause; on the agenda for discussion this week.

   NDR: BH has pulled this together and assigned chapters to individual
   editors.  Juerg from NZ has contributed much content for Chapter 3.
   The revised NDR will be a smaller document with fewer rules, better
   suited to prescriptive modes of use (rather than just descriptive of
   UBL practice).  The rules will be completely renumbered.  BH reports
   that NIST does not have a rule labeling scheme, but there is one in
   the NDR schema that we could adopt, similar to the one UBL uses.  We
   should look at practice in DON (Mike Grimley), OAGIS, NIEM.

CLOSING PLENARY 22 SEPTEMBER 2011

ATTENDANCE

   Present in Kars:

      Jon Bosak (chair)*
      G. Ken Holman*
      Mavis Cournane
      Andy Schoka*

   Attending by phone:

      Roger Bass
      Kenneth Bengtsson*
      Betty Harvey*
      Tim McGrath (vice chair)*
      Ole Madsen
      Sven Rasmussen*

      * current voting members

RESOLUTION REGARDING UBL GOVERNANCE

   WHEREAS the UBL TC, from its inception in 2001, has had as its final
   chartered objective "Ultimately, to promote UBL to the status of an
   international standard for the conduct of XML-based electronic
   business," now therefore

   BE IT RESOLVED, that a UBL 2.1 Governance and Maintenance team (GMT)
   consisting of Jon Bosak, Tim McGrath, G. Ken Holman, and Andy Schoka
   be empowered to explore avenues for the submission of UBL to an
   international standards body.

      Yes votes: Bosak, Holman, Schoka, Bengtsson, Harvey, McGrath,
      Rasmussen

      No votes: none

      Abstentions: none

      The vote was unanimous and included all current voting members of
      the OASIS UBL TC.

MOU/MG REPORT

   TM: Attended the second day of the ISO IEC ITU UN/CEFACT eBusiness
   MoU Management Group last week.  It was a very positive meeting
   characterized by a spirit of goodwill, especially from the new ISO
   TC154 chair, Klaus-Dieter Naujok.  The current UN/CEFACT
   reorganization was discussed, and a grace period for the
   establishment of new liaisons and collaboration policies was granted.

UN/CEFACT REPORT

   TM: The first meeting of the UN/CEFACT Forum under its new structure
   is being held this week in Geneva.  The new structure has two layers:
   a Bureau with nine members (including TM) that reports directly to
   the Plenary, and a set of project teams and project leaders.  Every
   deliverable now has a team and a leader reporting to a Bureau member
   responsible for the project.  In other words, the organization now
   has normal corporate project management.  TM's areas are Supply Chain
   and Methodology/Technology.  There is also a separate permanent group
   responsible for libraries and maintenance.  The goal is to improve
   productivity and focus on areas that directly address business
   requirements.  Harm-Jan van Burg has been appointed the vice chair
   responsible for external relationships; he is familiar with OASIS and
   should serve well as a liaison.  The application of genericode for
   code lists is a particularly promising area of collaboration.

   GKH (as chair of the OASIS Code List Representation TC): we support
   this effort.

   TM: Also, CEFACT will be revisiting its NDR policy to preserve
   backward compatibility with existing implementations based on their
   NDR 2 and CCTS 2.01.  This is another possible area of collaboration.
   Also, discussion with the project leader of the Business Document
   Header project suggests that we could collaborate on this as well.

NDR REPORT

   GKH: The NDR document has a new organization and TOC.  We are now
   recognizing UBL spreadsheets and schemas as two normative
   deliverables.  An annex will point readers to the UBL 2.1
   documentation, giving us a full specification of both CCTS 2.01-based
   spreadsheets and UBL schemas together with code to go between the two
   and a set of genericode code lists to be defined by the TC.

LATIN AMERICA REGIONAL LOCALIZATION SUBCOMMITTEE

   KB: Electronic invoicing is high on the agenda for most Latin
   American countries; it will be mandatory in Mexico and Brazil for
   both public and private sectors.  Brazil has its own standard
   invoice.  Mexico uses five different formats, but many Mexican
   providers are using UBL.  The only Latin American country currently
   requiring UBL is Peru, where a government portal (inspired by the
   ITST work in Denmark) has just been launched, but talks are underway
   with other countries as well.  Peru is beginning to implement UBL
   Catalogue.

   There is a growing realization in Latin American countries that
   signed PDF is not the way forward, but it's an issue that the UBL
   documentation is not available in Spanish and that there are few
   Spanish-speaking UBL experts.  This would be a good time to begin a
   Spanish version of ubl.xml.org.

      ACTION: JB to note the existence of multiple language versions
      of the data dictionary in the UBL 2.1 hub document.

UBL 2.1 DOCUMENTATION

   JB has completed the consolidation of references to schemas and
   related items into a single section in the document; he will now
   begin the editing to bring PRD2 to PRD3, but he can't finish until
   all the content is in from PSC and TSC.  We have received a revised
   set of figures for VMI from Arianna that are closer to the common
   style we are trying to establish, and we will be working to get them
   into the draft.  JB and GKH will be working in the Friday session on
   testing revised DocBook stylesheets.

TRANSPORTATION SUBCOMMITTEE

   AS: Have had discussions about PRD3 that deal with the eFreight
   project and will be including some new harmonized transport document
   types.  We are presently accumulating a TSC issues list, including
   comments from Roberto and Audun.  We also have input from USDOT for
   inclusion of a new document type harmonized with eFreight
   requirements to provide query/response for transport status.

TC WORK SCHEDULE

   The schedule we had in July was based on PRD3 review beginning in
   mid-October, but this assumed close of all issues at the end of this
   meeting in Kars.  In fact, we don't have all the comments resolved
   (aside from SG's there have not been any, but the review isn't closed
   yet), and there are known PSC and TSC issues still outstanding.  We
   can now expect the schedule to slip by as much time as it takes to
   finish content changes and comment disposition.  Two consequences:

   - We will need to perform comment resolution during TC phone calls.

   - We should think about a possible joint PSC/TSC meeting in
     Copenhagen in late November to complete issue resolution and align
     changes in the common library.  Facilities can be available no
     earlier than 7 November and no later than the week of 28 November.
     We should have a decision on this no later than the beginning of
     October.

MEETING SCHEDULE FOR 2012

   It's too early to schedule anything for 2012.  Perhaps we could hold
   a final meeting in mid-2012 to approve a plan for the further
   governance of UBL after 2.1.

APPRECIATION TO OUR HOSTS

   AGREED that the UBL TC thanks Crane Softwrights for hosting the
   face-to-face meeting in Kars, and in particular that we express our
   gratitude and appreciation for Kathryn Holman's hospitality and
   unstintingly generous logistical support in making this meeting a
   success.