ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Ad-hoc meeting re: ANS status for UBL 2.1

All,
some comment on standardization in EU.

Il giorno 11/apr/2013, alle ore 06:47, Roberto ha scritto:

> Hello Ken,
>
> I comment the following point:
>
>> not wise to go to only one national body, should we also be going to,
>> say, the Northern European countries for additional acceptance?
>
> About National Bodies in Europe (ESOs - European Standard Organizations) there is a recent *special* white paper to facilitate the endorsment (acceptance) of open standards.
> In few words if an ESO recognise UBL as Standard the effect will be that UBL will be considered Standard in the whole Europe.
>
> This is the official white paper:
> http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:52009DC0324:EN:NOT

This is just a white paper, it has no legal value but started a process that led to the production of a EU Regulation on standardization:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:316:0012:0033:EN:PDF
Here follows the parts that IMO can be of interest.

Fron whereas (6):
"Furthermore the Union should encourage contact
between European standardisation organisations and
private forums and consortia, while maintaining the
primacy of European standardisation."

From CHAPTER IV - ICT TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
"Article 13 - Identification of ICT technical specifications eligible for referencing
1. Either on proposal from a Member State or on its own
initiative the Commission may decide to identify ICT technical
specifications that are not national, European or international
standards, but meet the requirements set out in Annex II, which
may be referenced, primarily to enable interoperability, in public
procurement.
2. Either on proposal from a Member State or on its own
initiative, when an ICT technical specification identified in
accordance with paragraph 1 is modified, withdrawn or no
longer meets the requirements set out in Annex II, the
Commission may decide to identify the modified ICT
technical specification or to withdraw the identification.
3. The decisions provided for in paragraphs 1 and 2 shall be
adopted after consultation of the European multi-stakeholder
platform on ICT standardisation, which includes European stan­-
dardisation organisations, Member States and relevant stake­
holders, and after consultation of the committee set up by
the corresponding Union legislation, if it exists, or after other
forms of consultation of sectoral experts, if such a committee
does not exist.

Article 14 - Use of ICT technical specifications in public procurement
The ICT technical specifications referred to in Article 13 of this
Regulation shall constitute common technical specifications
referred to in Directives 2004/17/EC, 2004/18/EC and
2009/81/EC, and Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 2342/2002."

A Regulation is similar to a Directive but is in force immediately without a transposition and automatically repelling any national law in contrast with it (with the only exception of each Member State Constitution). This particular Regulation is in force since January 1st, 2013 in all EU member states.

> This is a recent appreciation by OASIS that I think it is related:
> https://www.oasis-open.org/news/pr/eu-reform
This indeed refers to the new Regulation I mentioned.
BTW the ESO that surely is more involved in eBusiness in CEN, in fact the article reads: "CEN has embraced and facilitated the broad use of OASIS standards including the Universal Business Language (UBL) for public procurement across Europe" is true but no formal TC exists today in CEN on this matter.
Currently in CEN the only official table open is the "eBusiness Coordination Group":
http://www.cen.eu/cen/Sectors/Sectors/ISSS/eBusinness/Pages/default.aspx
and:
http://www.ebusinesscg.eu/

I'd like to add that the CEN Workshops Agreements (CWAs) are indeed important but formally are not European standards, in fact (from the CEN site): "The CEN/CENELEC Workshop Agreement is a technical agreement, developed by an open workshop structure within the framework of CEN/CENELEC and owned by CEN/CENELEC as a publication, which reflects the consensus of only the registered participants responsible for its contents. The Workshop Agreement therefore does not represent the level of consensus and transparency required for a European Standard (EN) and is not designed to support legislative requirements".

Hope it helps…

Andrea