uddi-comment message

Subject: Re: [uddi-comment] Best practices: custom categorization taxonomies

Paul Sterk wrote:
> I can think of several different custom taxonomies that could be used to
> categorize a web service:
>
> - Version – (e.g., 0.1, 0.2, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc.)
> - Deployment type – (e.g., development, prototype, test, production)
> - Application criticality – (e.g., Mission Critical, Business Critical,
> Business
>       Operational, Administrative Services)
> - IT Group - (e.g., Sales, Finance, Human Resources)
> - Quality of service targets – (e.g., 99.9% available, 99% available,
> 95% available,
>        90% available)
>  - Security level – (e.g., 1 – Very High, 2 – High, 3 - Low)

Categorization in UDDI is delibrately done open ended so that different
categorization schemes appropriate for different usage, different
vertical industries, etc., can be used in a UDDI registry.

The scenarios you suggested are all possible, in addition to the ones
defined in UDDIv2 specification (such as NAICS, etc.) and other
industry-specific categorizations.

A point that is worth pointing out is that most of the scenarios you
suggested describe the technical deployement charactersistics of a Web
service. From a modeling perspective, they fit quite well as
classification to be done at the bindingTemplate level. Classification
at the bindingTemplate level is a new feature in UDDIv3.

- sam