uddi-dev message

Subject: [uddi-dev] Questions on V3 specification.

Dear list:

I have a few of questions about UDDI V3 specification.

My personal interest is interoperability, especially in multi-nodes
registry and registry affiliation.  The V3 specification is so thick
that I spent long time (and also much paper to print it out :-) since
it was out in this summer.  But I have found a few ambiguities mainly
in replication specification in last weeks:

1) The acknowledgment of change record is also represented as one of
the ChangeRecord data.  But, because the ack should be propagated to
the originated node, this means that topology of the replication is
something like cyclic (or, in another words, all nodes are 'strongly
connected' in graph theory jargon.).  Is that what the spec means
(implicitly)?

2) Does only one node maintains replication configuration, or a few of
nodes can maintain it?  XML Schema chart of replicatonConfiguration
shows that "replicatonConfiguration" element can one or more
"registryContact" elements.  But maintaining replication configuration
by two or mode nodes seem to complicate the replication protocol,
because potentially two or more nodes try to change replication
topology at the same time.

3) How changes to replication configuration are notified to the other
nodes and propagated to them?  I could not found the explicit
descriptions of means to notify and propagate the change of
replication configuration in V3 spec. (Also, "the communication" in
pp. 197 line 17 is not concrete, I think.)  Unfortunately, 'V2'
specification said that was done by "an out-of-band means not defined
in this specification" (i.e. V2 Replication Specification).  If it's
same in V3 spec, I think it hard to build multi-vendor/multi-nodes
registry. Is it out-of-scope of the specification?

Please clarify these my questions if someone knows details of the v3
specification.

Thanks in advance,

-- Nobuyuki Tomizawa