uddi-dev message

Subject: RE: [uddi-dev] ebXML registry and UDDI comparisons

Sony continued building Betamax machines until 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: 24 June 2005 02:58
To: Luc Clement
Cc: Governor James; 'Jørgen Thyme'; uddi-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Luc Clement wrote:

>[<lc> Cute. ... That said, there was a recognition of the need to support
>ebXML to address the needs of activities such as described by Patrick Chan
>earlier today: "I am currently at the Asia ebXML EAC meeting in Hong Kong.
>We have seen quite a number of case studies in Asia revolving on work that
>utilises ebXML (e.g. DTTN (Digital Transportation and Trading Network) in
>Hong Kong that leverages ebMS but not the registry at the moment, e-Taiwan
>project, Sony Music in Hong Kong etc.)."

That is the natural progression that I have seen in ebXML. First people
start with ebMS
and get Business Processes to be talking using manually assmebled CPAs
or sometimes
even without CPAs.

Next they start using ebXML Registry to discover CPPs (or template CPAs)
and assemble CPAs.
This is the classic design time use of ebXML Registry envisioned by the
original ebXML
Architecture.

Eventually they start using ebXML Registry at run time, not so much to
do dynamic service
invocation but to use it as an operational store for configuration and
operational data.

But the vast majority of uses within the 200+ user community of freebXML
Registry that
I see has nothing to do with ebXML's original vision or ebMS. The vast
majority of
use cases simply use it as enabling infrastructure for Federated
Information Management.

The Pan Canadian Registry being developed in the Canadian Governemnt
cuts across
local, provincial, territorial and federal government entities to enable
seamless information
sharing to deliver cost effective eServices to Canadian residents and
businesses.

They too have adopted ebXML Registry standard for the Pan Canadian Registry
because of its design center of Federated Information Management.

Then there is a large segment of ebXML Registry users that use it simply
as a Registry
of SOA Artefacts.

>That was one of the motivations for example for releasing the ebXML/UDDI [1]
>mapping. When these projects identify a need for registry (not surprising
>they haven't to date given the field of application) they will have options.

Interesting. So how many cases can you cite of anyone on the planet
using UDDI as a registry
of ebXML Artefacts?

ebXML Registry is being deployed as a SOA Registry, as a GIS Registry,
as a Core Components Registry,
as a Business Process Catalogs Registry, as a Electrinic Medical Records
Registry, eForms Registry to name just a few.

Not bad for an alleged betamax.

>I'm check'in out of this thread - not sure what and who's cause it serves.

Not your's I suspect ;-)

I have found it to be an informative and valuable exchange until the
betamax analogy was thrown in.

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi

Editor: ebXML Registry TC
Co-chair: Semantic Content Management SC of OASIS ebXML Registry TC
Co-chair: Registry SC of OASIS egov TC
Lead Architect: freebXML Registry open source project
	(http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net )
Spec Lead: JAXR API
Federated Information Management Architect: Sun Microsystems

Coming to Java ONE 2005? If so check out Sun's Service Registry at Booth #802 in the Java ONE Pavillion.

Sun's Service Registry Web Site:
http://www.sun.com/products/soa/registry/

Press Release:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-06/sunflash.20050615.1.html