uddi-spec-comment message

Subject: [uddi-spec-comment] Re: [ebxml-dev] UDDI vs ebXML RIM/RSS andconvergence..

Great points Steve. I should also add that the UDDI TC has been working
on at least one paper to address the representation of objects
registered in an ebXML Registry within a UDDI Registry - that is, to
provide a tModel (speaking very generally) which references a CPP, CPA,
Business Process definition, etc.  I will defer to the UDDI TC folks to
provide more information on this paper.

As to supporting federated queries: There is probably nothing stopping
anyone from building a sort of "query gateway" that can query for an
entity (using very high-level terms here) that *may* exist in either a
UDDI Registry or an ebXML Registry, but the querying agent has no
advance knowledge of which it resides in. I think that could be very
useful.

Something else that could be useful would be a "replication gateway" in
which contents could be replicated between the registries (or perhaps
transferred from one to the other) in an efficient manner.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano

Steve Capell wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> Thank you for your comments - particularly the information on UDDI v3.0
> capabilities (I clearly need to read more on UDDI v3.0).
>
> I'd say that the analogy is less like the car and more like the basic
> user interface of the car - they all have a steering wheel, gearshift,
> brake & accelerator.  I suspect a joystick driven car might not be very
> successful in the marketplace - no matter how much fun to drive...
>
> It seems to me that there is not much impetus to merge these
> specifications.  I guess we can live with that if interoperability
> between registries is addressed.  The replication & federation models of
> UDDI and ebXML RIM/RSS is one area that could usefully be the focus of
> some work aimed at providing interoperability.
>
> If UDDI and ebXML can't exchange data & support federated queries then
> the analogy would be like having an internet with two incompatible DNS
> systems - one is almost bound to fail.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Capell
> RedWahoo
> Sydney, Australia

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano