Subject: [uddi-spec] UTF-8/UTF-16

Hi all,

I would suggest the following:

1. Drop any idea of changing v.2 unless it is absolutely critical for interoperability with other standards.

2. Can anyone present a strong case why we need to change v.3?
    - question 1: Is the need to support UTF-16 based on a solid ground (another approved spec, candidate spec or something like that) ?
    - question 2: Is it beneficial to make the change regardless of any other standard? (at the end of the day UTF-16 is a legitimate and widely used encoding)

3. Ask vendors to come forward and announce their v.3 implementations so we can estimate the impact. We can post a call on yahoo mailing lists, uddi-comments and probably some other popular mailing lists.

I hope this makes sense.

By the way, I would suggest to have an official page with a list of implementations. It will give us a clue of the scale of impact a change can make. I would volunteer to do this work.

Cheers,
Max