Subject: [uddi-spec] Comments on future intentions for V3

This is a followup to my comments and discussion in the F2F Monday
morning, and is written in part by my "outer pedant" [apologies to Tony
Rogers].

I believe that the group clarified the situation by saying  (via Luc)
that "V3" [see note below] is the basis for current work, and that "V4"
is a vague future version that is completely undefined.  Current work
will take what I think of as "Version 3.0000" and modifiy/evolve it as
change requests are accepted by the groujp, leading to a sequence of
editor's versions with version numbers like 3.02, 3.05, etc.

If this is the case, it directly contradicts the minutes for the 13
September 2002 meeting quoted below, which suggests the freezing of the
documents approved as OASIS Committee Specifications and defining future
work as V4.

Note: Since the TC accepted "V3" with specific documents as an OASIS
Committee Specification, we have created a separate time series for
OASIS Committee Specifications.  Since these are generally used in OASIS
as a kind of "clean point" that are viewed by the committee as complete
and ready for detailed analysis/review/implementation, perhaps we made a
mistake is so designating "V3" at the first meeting.  We are also
confusing ourselves by talking about "V3" as a fixed thing -- it is, as
a CSpec, but it's also been used in discussions as a family of specs
evolving via change requests.

Are we misleading others who think that the TC thinks that the "V3" on
the web site is complete and ready for implementation (subject only to
minor bugs)?

I suggest putting a note on the TC web page stating something like "the
next "V3 family" Committee Specification is planned for early 2003 after
dealing with change requests from the review and implementation
process." This should probably be identified as OASIS Committee
Specification version 3.1.

bill cox

Background information: