Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] Schema for taxonomies

Title: Re: [uddi-spec] Schema for taxonomies
I think the goal of exchanging of taxonomies (mapping between them) is a worthy one, but I also suspect that it is much more than the UDDI group wants to take on. Although mapping between individual taxonomies can be simple, it can also be mind-numbingly complex when the taxonomies' structures are not equivalent or nearly so. And making a universal metalanguage would be exponentially more difficult, both technically and politically.

I also think that a taxonomy mapping/exchange metalanguage would properly belong in its own work group since the issue is not limited to UDDI, but would have impact in many other areas.

Respectfully,

Arle Lommel
LISA

Von Riegen, Claus <claus.von.riegen@sap.com> scripsit

Max,

I support the idea to extend our work to the area of taxonomy management.
This may also include the management of non-hierarchical taxonomies and the mapping between different taxonomies.

Claus