Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Schema for taxonomies

Title: Message
reply:

I fully support the notion of specifying standard mechanisms for the basic processing of taxonomies within a registry.  But I also caution you from over specifying this area.  This a clearly an area where those that have products or plan to support taxonomy mgmt should compete.  Remember from a customer perspective, competition is good.

A relatively generic API like the one described below, get_relatedCategories, is an example of one that makes a lot of sense.  Specifying a minimum set of methods/APIs to provide taxonomy support is a good idea.

Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Luc Clement [mailto:lclement@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 6:08 PM
To: Max Voskob; uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

Max,

Unfortunately, there is nothing that has been published by the UDDI.org Working Group or this TC to date. This is clearly an area that deserves some attention.

To support the needs of Microsoft's UDDI customers, Microsoft has created a schema and an API to navigate and retrieve valued from a given value set. The API is entitled the get_relatedCategories. The schema used to support these value sets is available at http://uddi.microsoft.com/extensions.xsd

We've recently published an article that describes the API and the schema. You can access the article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnuddi/html/travtreeuddi.asp. You might also want to look at a companion article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnuddi/html/impmetadata.asp.

Hope this helps
Luc