Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] ASN.1 notation as an alternative to XML Schema proposal

While Claus and Bob pointed out the technical difficulties of adopting
ASN.1 that we should all consider, at a higher level, I think it'd be
helpful for Garg and other ASN.1 experts to explain / elaborate on the
motivation of using ASN.1 as opposed to XML, before jumping into the
technical details of the ASN.1.

Garg's writeup seems to imply that the major reason is to make UDDI more
acceptable in low-bandwidth environment (meaning mobile communication?).
Garg, is that the primary motivation / requirement? Could you elaborate
on it?

After we evaluate the motivation and the requirements, if requirements
are important enough, I think we may still adopt the requirements; and
we can then discuss the solution. Garg proposes a solution which can
serve as a starting point.

- sam