Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Issue with Value Sets with entity keys as values

Comments inline, <JC>like this</JC>.

John Colgrave

IBM

-----Original Message-----
From: Luc Clement [mailto:lclement@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: 04 May 2003 19:28
To: John Colgrave; uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

My take-back from this thread is that this TN is considering introducing to v3 (arguably v2) a new canonical categorization tModel that is internally verified by a node supported by an additional attribute on categorization indicating the need to perform key mapping. owningBusiness and isReplacedBy tModels were also identified as being at issue.<JC>If by “this TN” you mean the WSDL TN then there are three Category Systems that rely on the “key-mapping” behaviour.  It is also my view that the Value Sets in V3 that take entity keys are not usable in a registry that supports both V2 and V3.  Key-mapping issues are of course irrelevant to a V2-only registry or a V3-only registry.  The new Category System is therefore not needed in the V2 specification, although V2 support in a V2/V3 registry will have to be aware of it.</JC>

I sense that the discussion too quickly jumped to the "node-performs-the-mapping solution". Sam pointed out a reasonable option that needs further discussion: "a burden to the publishers (or publishing app), who have to explicitly publish two keyedReferences: one for v2 and one for v3". <JC>I have already pointed out why this would not work: a V2 app would definitely not know the correct V3 key to use and a V3 app would almost certainly not know the correct V2 key to use.  I have also pointed out what would be a compromise solution, having the registry generate the “partner” keyedReference, but two of the Value Sets in V3 do not have a V2 equivalent therefore it is not possible to save a keyedReference containing a V2 key.  This approach would also not work for signed data.</JC>

Question:

What happens to digital signed data if a node was to perform server-side mapping? We went to some length to ensure that a v3 node did not modify any of part of a publisher's data specifically to avoid situations where a node would break a signature. This argues against any form of mapping server-side.<JC>This has already been addressed by myself and Tony.  A digital signature is only relevant when V3 code has published the data and V3 code is doing the inquiry.  In this case no mapping is necessary, the correct data will be returned and the signature will be valid.  Also, the tModelKey is already mapped and people are quite happy with that.  All I am saying is that in those cases where the keyValue is an entity key then the keyValue should be mapped in exactly the same way.</JC>

Internally Checked Categorization:

The issue of "magic" behaviour discussed is related but orthogonal. I dislike the "magic" of the owningBusiness and isReplacedBy tModels in that it requires nodes to special-sauce behaviour; what's called for by server-side key mapping is yet another example of "internally checked" behaviour. <JC>Mapping goes beyond “mere” checking, and indeed requires checking as part of its operation.</JC>What is at the core of this issue IMO is that we do not have a generalized mechanism to express "internally checked" behaviour<JC>I agree that there is no definition of internal checking and therefore no way to declare it.  This is the aspect I said I had chosen not to address.  The proposed solution takes the same approach as the current specification as far as checking is concerned.  If a Value Set is categorized as having entity keys for valid values then the implementation knows exactly what to do.</JC>. Every new internally checked behaviour requires an implementor to crack open the code and implement new behaviour. What is a node to specifically check when it encounters such a categorization? <JC>In the case of an internally checked Value Set that is declared as taking entity keys as valid values, the node has to check that the keyValue supplied is a valid key of the correct type of entity.</JC>To date, we're identified the behaviour to implement in the core spec. We now are considering a TN that calls for the introduction of yet new behaviour.<JC>The WSDL TN does not require any additional behaviour over and above what I claim is required to fix V3.</JC>

Even if we were to accept the proposed "additional attribute on a tModel indicating key mapping" that would still be insufficient to express the specific semantic checks to be performed; <JC>I disagree</JC>we'd have to modify the spec. The v3 spec isn't broken as such, it's lacking. <JC>It is broken if you want to support both V2 and V3 at the same time.</JC>We could accept Sam's proposal without making any changes.<JC>I disagree.  Somebody will have to explain how V2 code can know V3 keys and vice versa.</JC>

I think that we need to consider these issues as part of our v4 activities.<JC>Obviously, given all the above, I disagree.  This needs fixing in V3.</JC>

Luc Clément

Microsoft