Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Issue with the WSDL TN

What I actually suggested was the ability to add additional data in the form of name-value pairs, separated by semicolons.
For example, if one wants to express an implementation detail about a (propietary) procedure that is necessary to get a user account in the system that implements the Web service, the instanceParms within a bindingTemplate (that represents a wsdl:port) could look as follows:

<instanceParms>wsdl:port="the-port-name";example.com:user-account="http://www.example.com/webservices/useraccount"</instanceParms>

Tools then would look for the "wsdl:port" name within the instanceParms and could still automatically retrieve the corresponding name value.

Note that this approach would be necessary (at least in V2) if one wants to avoid the publication of such (propietary) tModels since bindingTemplates don't carry a categoryBag (in V3 a keyedReference using the general_keywords category system would work, although it would then not be part of the
"technical fingerprint", i.e. the set of tModelInstanceInfos).

I know that there is a trade-off between this flexible, but more complex approach and the limited, but simpler approach that is currently specified in the TN. I'd be happy to drop the proposal if the TC tells me that my proposed direction is too digressive.

Claus

-----Original Message-----
From: John Colgrave [mailto:colgrave@hursley.ibm.com]
Sent: Mittwoch, 28. Mai 2003 15:59
To: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [uddi-spec] Issue with the WSDL TN

Following yesterday's call, there is one technical issue, apart from the one
that led to CR-032, that Claus raised on the WSDL TN that has not, in my
opinion, been closed.

If anybody thinks that they have raised technical issues that have not been
addressed then speak now.

This issue is to do with the use of instanceParms in the instanceDetails
element of the tModelInstanceInfo that relates to the binding tModel.

Claus has suggested that we allow arbitrary content in this instanceParms
element in addition to the content required by the WSDL TN so that other
specifications etc. that want to build on the WSDL TN can add their own
content.

My view is that this whole tModelInstanceInfo is specific to the WSDL TN and
if other information needs to be supplied for a particular use of the WSDL
TN then that can be achieved by having another tModelInstanceInfo element
for some other tModel relevant to the application domain, or putting the
information in the WSDL itself using WSDL extensibility elements and using
the "WSDL Implementation Document" approach in the WSDL TN to allow the WSDL
to be retrieved and the information read from there.

If we allow particular uses of the WSDL TN to alter the content of the UDDI
artifacts required by the WSDL TN then we lose portability/interoperability.

It is also far from clear that overloading the single instanceParms element
will be sufficient given the limits on the length of it of 255 in UDDI V2
and even 8192 in UDDI V3.

John Colgrave
IBM

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/members/leave_workgroup.php