Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] FAQs

From: Max Voskob [mailto:max.voskob@paradise.net.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 14:24
To: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

Cheers,
Max
----- Original Message -----
From: "Von Riegen, Claus" <claus.von.riegen@sap.com>
To: "'Anne Thomas Manes'" <anne@manes.net>; <uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 10:11 AM

> Anne,
>
> Please find a couple of proposed changes attached.
>
> Thanks,
>  Claus

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/members/leave_workgro
up.php.

OASIS UDDI Specification TC FAQs_CvR_MV_LC.doc

Title: OASIS UDDI Specification TC FAQ

OASIS UDDI Specification TC

  1. What is UDDI?
  2. What is the current status of UDDI?
  3. What requirements are currently under consideration?
  4. How do people use UDDI?
  5. What is the UDDI Business Registry (UBR)?
  6. What is the relationship between the OASIS UDDI TC and the UBR operators?
  7. How does UDDI relate to other Web services-related standards projects at OASIS, W3C, and WS-I?
  8. How does UDDI compare with the work of the OASIS ebXML Registry TC?

Details

1. What is UDDI?

The Universal Description, Discovery and Integration (UDDI) specifications define a registry service for Web services and for other electronic and non-electronic services. A UDDI registry service is a Web service that manages information about service providers, service implementations, and service metadata. Service providers can use UDDI to advertise the services they offer. Service consumers can use UDDI to discover services that suit their requirements and to obtain the service metadata needed to consume those services.

The UDDI specifications define:

a)     SOAP APIs that applications use to query and to publish information to a UDDI registry

b)     XML Schema schemata of the registry data model and the SOAP message formats

c)     WSDL definitions of the SOAP APIs

d)    UDDI registry definitions (technical models - tModels) of various identifier and category systems that may be used to identify and categorize UDDI registrations

The UDDI Spec TC also develops technical notes and best practice documents that aid users in deploying and using UDDI registries effectively.

2. What is the current status of UDDI?

The UDDI V2.0 specifications have been approved as an OASIS Standard. Numerous vendors and open source communities supply products that implement the UDDI V2.0 standard.

The UDDI V3.0 specification has been approved as an OASIS Technical Committee Approved Specification. Many vendors are developing products that implement the UDDI V3.0 specifications.

The UDDI Spec TC is currently gathering requirements for the next revision of the specification.

3. What requirements are currently under consideration?

Currently the UDDI TC is working on improving security, trustworthiness, semantics, and alignment with the Web Service Architecture and other standards.

4. How do people use UDDI?

A business may deploy one or more private and/or public UDDI registries. A private registry permits access to only authorized users. A public registry does not restrict access to the registry. A business may choose to deploy multiple registries in order to segregate internal and external service information. An internal registry supports intranet applications, while an external registry supports extranet applications. Industry groups may deploy a UDDI registry to support public or private exchanges.

5. What is the UDDI Business Registry (UBR)?

The UDDI Business Registry (UBR) is a free, public UDDI registry currently jointly operated by IBM, Microsoft, NTT Communications, and SAP. Anyone is free to publish information to any of the UBR nodes and to query any of these. Users can find more information about the UBR at http://uddi.org/find.html.

6. What is the relationship between the OASIS UDDI TC and the UBR operators?

There is no formal relationship between the OASIS UDDI TC and the UBR operators. The OASIS UDDI TC encourages standards bodies, industry associations, special interest groups, and other organizations to register standards and conventions in the UBR in the form of tModels for Web services.

7. How does UDDI relate to other Web services-related standards projects at OASIS, W3C, and WS-I?

UDDI is complementary to other Web services-related projects at OASIS and W3C, such as SOAP, WSDL, WSBPEL, WSRP, and WS-Security. WS-I adopts and further profiles the UDDI V2.0 standard in the WS-I Basic Profile.

8. How does UDDI compare with the work of the OASIS ebXML Registry TC?

The OASIS ebXML Registry TC is part of the Electronic Business using XML (ebXML) project, which develops standards and protocols to support business-to-business (B2B) operations. The ebXML Registry TC has defined a registry service for Web services and for other electronic and non-electronic services, known as ebXML Reg/Rep. ebXML Reg/Rep is both a registry and a repository.

The ebXML project has focused on solving the specific problems associated with B2B applications. UDDI is designed as a generic registry service that supports all types of Web services applications – both within the organization and across organizations.