Subject: Proposed agenda - Telecon: Taxonomy Mgt and Support for Semantic Search

Proposed agenda for the "Taxonomy Mgt and Support for Semantic Search"
Telecon

Max: The background section is intended to identify the rationale for my
recommendation to focus Monday's meeting on the topic of OWL and its
relationship with our Taxonomy Mgt Requirements. Could you please review and
confirm that you agree with the proposed course of action.

Massimo/Katia: Could you please look at this note as I'm suggesting that we
take up your offer for a presentation. This is of course dependent on Max's
agreement with the proposed course of action.

Call Details

	Mon 19 Jan at 13:00 Pacific.

	Toll free: +1 877-272-5572
International: +1 866-453-5550
Participant code: 497-1748

	UTC: Mon-21:00, Seattle: Mon-13:00, New York: Mon-16:00, London:
Mon-21:00, Frankfurt: Mon-22:00, Moscow: Mon-24:00, Tokyo: Tue-06:00,
Sydney: Tue-08:00, Auckland: Tue-10:00

Background

When we started out on Requirements 011-014 [1] it was with the intent to
deal with UDDI's taxonomy management needs; line items 1-11 of [1]
identified a fairly crisp set of requirements which we prioritized. We have
since embarked in looking at Semantic Search capabilities which, given OWL's
relevance to our taxonomy needs, naturally led us at looking at the
possibility of providing semantic search capabilities. That said, we never
prioritized semantic search requirements and need to do so.

I think that looking at Semantic Search capabilities is worth it, though we
need to keep our sights on the initial set of requirements which were to (in
short): define a means of publishing taxonomies; query taxonomies; manage
taxonomies; and define a normative schema for taxonomies. Solutions need to
be in the form of APIs and schemas which satisfy the requirements we
identified and prioritized in [1]. From my research, OWL does seem to fit
the bill and is clearly timely although I'm concerned whether it's premature
for us to leverage it for a number of reasons (stability of the spec;
willingness of vendors to implement it; etc. - keep in mind that in order
for a spec to become an OASIS standard, implementations are required as a
prerequisite and thus we need to be careful in our selection of a
technology/spec).

Insofar that it makes sense to tackle Req 011-014 along with Req XXX
(Semantic Search), let's do so, though I personally think that we need to
split the discussion so that we can get as much parallel activity as
possible.

What makes sense to me for the immediate future is to get a common
understanding of OWL (and other relevant options) and evaluate it against
our taxonomy requirements and areas such as inheritance, equivalencies and
relationship between values of given value sets. As a next step (perhaps as
a parallel activity) we should embark on defining our Semantic Search
requirements; document them; prioritize them; and identify solutions.

Proposed Agenda

I recommend that the agenda for Monday's call consist of a discussion of OWL
and its applicability to Req 011-014. First on the agenda should be a
presentation by Massimo and Katia (they've offered to do so) to introduce us
to OWL.

As a next step and later meeting, OWL-S can be reviewed as part of
discussing the Semantic Seach Requirement (Req-XXX); the outcome of this
work needs to be a requirements document that we evaluate and prioritize
separately.

Max: Do you agree with this course of action?

Massimo/Katia: would you be prepared to give a presentation on OWL on
Monday?

Regards,

Luc

Luc Clément
Secretary, OASIS UDDI Spec TC

Web:         <http://www.iclement.net/luc> www.iclement.net/luc
MSN IM:    <mailto:luclclement@hotmail.com> luclclement@hotmail.com
Cell:         425.941.0150

[1] UDDI V4 Requirements List, Section 2.7, RQ 011 - 014 - Taxonomy Items,
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/5050/UD
DI%20v4%20Requirements%20List.htm#_Toc60926062>
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/5050/UDD
I%20v4%20Requirements%20List.htm#_Toc60926062

[2] Taxonomy items: API, modeling, format, value sets, i18n, etc.,
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/4065/ud
di-spec-tc-rq011-14-20031030.doc>