Subject: [uddi-spec] request for item on agenda at next FTF=20

web services management information in UDDI. Specifically we think that=20
common quality of service metrics such as average performance,=20
reliability, throughput and availability should be easily available in=20
consistent locations in enterprise registries of web services. We believe=20
that this has great value for customers in providing predictable places to =

store and search for such information to supplement the information about=20
specific physical implementations of web services, beyond what is natively =

available on bindingTemplates.  We also believe that having such standard=20
ways of accessing this information enhances the value of web services=20
management solutions for customers as there becomes a wider use of the QoS =

information beyond just the management tool software itself. This includes =

the ability for developers to use this information in search and browsing=20
for appropriate web service instances to use in a given situation.=20
We would like to involve as many web services management vendors in=20
drafting a recommendation on how and where to store such information. We=20
have posted a rough draft proposal for one possible method of doing such=20
storage (and several other alternatives are presented therein).=20
We are interested in discussing this at the February 10-12 Face to Face in =

San Francisco. It would be great if we could somehow get on the agenda for =

this meeting.    Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Regards,=20
- Adam Blum, CTO, Systinet=20
- Fred Carter, architect, Amberpoint=20
To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster of=20
the OASIS TC), go to=20
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/members/leave=5Fwork=
group.php
.

--=_alternative 00694C7406256E28_=

that this is not detailed enough on what should be discoverable in UDDI
from the Web services management information. &nbsp;A better approach to
solve the technical mapping between Web service management and UDDI should
include a detailed review of the specification in development in the OASIS
TC for Web services distributed management http://www.oasis-open.org/commit=
tees/tc=5Fhome.php?wg=5Fabbrev=3Dwsdm</font>
ecast
this paper as end user quality of service discovery? &nbsp;From what I
read, the recommended metrics are being used by end users to select web
services, as opposed to management software. If that is the intent, I think
much more discussion of the context of the registry and who is asserting
each of the properties for the Web service is needed.</font>
me understand the proposal:</font>
initial selection of a service from a user's perspective or assist manageme=
nt
software at runtime?</font>
registries with particular access control policies? </font>
ervices
in the registry such as validation of the service or approval of the admini=
strator
of the registry?</font>
should
verify the assertions made by the publisher who has labelled a service
with a &nbsp;certain metric?</font>
Andrew Hately<br>
IBM Austin<br>
UDDI Development, Emerging Technologies <br>
Lotus Notes: Andrew Hately/Austin/IBM@IBMUS<br>
Internet: hately@us.ibm.com<br>
(512) 838-2866, &nbsp;t/l 678-2866<br>
quot;
&lt;zdenek@systinet.com&gt;</b> </font>
is-open.org&gt;</font>
 for
item on agenda at next FTF</font></table>
use cases regarding QoS metadata:</font>
QoS
metrics. Service QoS metadata might be helpful in this scenario. As UDDI
registry does not allow for interval searches in keyedReference values,
storing actual values (average response time =3D 5.82 ms) does not add much
value for searches. I would like to see some well-defined categorization
of major QoS metrics being defined in this proposal (I'm not expert in
WS management so I don't have any good suggestion) so I know if the business
service runs on somebody's laptop or on corporate Sun E 10 000 machine.</fo=
nt>
think that ideal way for accessing actual QoS data about business service
is to define some well-known service (QoSService) that provides complex
QoS information about the business service and reference the QoSService
binding template (deployment) from the business service binding template
(either via V3 compliant reference in categoryBag or tModelInstanceInfos).
This approach is very easy for management vendors who would simply implement
the standard the QoSService interface as layer on top of their QoS data
stores. I can also imagine some automated process that performs some aggreg=
ation
on top of the QoSService and regularly updates QoS categories described
in ad A).</font>
ZD</font>
Zdenek Svoboda<br>
Systinet Corp.<br>
5 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142<br>
Tel: (617) 768-4240<br>
Fax: (617) 621-1168 </font>
ave@hursley.ibm.com]
<b><br>
Subject:</b> RE: [uddi-spec] request for item on agenda at next FTF</font><=
font size=3D3><br>
ary
of adding such &#8220;live&#8221; metadata to UDDI. &nbsp;Trying to describ=
e things
like availability in UDDI can overlap with the support for availability,
workload management etc. in the servers hosting the applications/services.
&nbsp;Similarly, trying to represent service compositions in UDDI overlaps
with flow/process execution systems. &nbsp;Such systems can allow for alter=
native
services and compensating services so I doubt it would be sufficient to
deem every service inoperable that had a (transitive) dependency on a parti=
cular
service that was deemed inoperable.</font>
font>
=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3D"Arial">I
would like to add some additional thought to the work of Adam and Fred.
&nbsp;I believe there is a more generic category of &quot;live&quot; metada=
ta
that pertains to the registration, status, and availability of Web Services.
&nbsp;QoS is one such area, but so is application configuration and depende=
ncy.
&nbsp;For example, a composite application that binds multiple Web Services
into one should be able to be described in the UDDI in such a way that
if one Service is inoperable, the status of the entire Composite applicatio=
n--through
dependency chains--could be deemed inoperable. &nbsp;By capturing a) a
category of data that is marked as volatile and b) a model for capturing
the dependency of one tModel on another. &nbsp;I believe we can accomplish
the goals set forth by Adam and Fred as well as enable a much greater capab=
ility
for complete management of composite software.</font>
<hr></div>
US [mailto:maud.cahuzac@rd.francetelecom.com] <b><br>
ace=3D"Times New Roman">
his
topic and we are happy to see Adam joining the TC. Here are our comments
(for Adam and the TC) regarding the different methods Adam proposed. To
us, the best approach seems to be the use of UDDI data structure extensions
(see our comments below).</font>
Pointing to External Resource</font><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman">
We agree that this solution is very limited since the QoS document must
be processed to retrieve QoS information and no UDDI query allows us to
get this information.</font>
Are there only performance and reliability info in this XML document or
can we find further details about the service QoS (such as all the metrics
listed on the document as well as their units, life performance info, ...et=
c)
?</font>
compliance with the WS-I Basic Profile which states that a service specific=
ation
must be describe in a WSDL file ?</font>
oS
=3D2 face=3D"Times New Roman"><br>
We think that this solution is interesting since each service implementation
is categorized with its own QoS parameters.</font>
categorize at the very maximum a UDDI entity, you will always have large
CategoryBags. It is the same for all types of categorization: for instance,
a business, which is established in 30 different countries, will be categor=
ized
with 30 different geographical taxonomy entries (and that is why taxonomy
browsing mechanisms are really important in UDDI).</font>
nk
it would be better to create a QoS Taxonomy, which entries represent the
different QoS metrics (taxonomy entries can be hierarchical with sub-level
metrics) and create only one &quot;Categorization&quot; tModel to be used
in the CategoryBag ?</font>
de
users with metrics' unit in the CategoryBag? (does the ResponseTimeAverge
is in second, millisecond, microsecond, ...?)</font>
made on the Semantic side, we could have another Taxonomy for units, and
&quot;semantically&quot; make a relationship between the two taxonomies
to provide Metrics and their units at the same time. But, at the moment,
there is no way to do this in UDDI.</font>
ctures</font><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman">