Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Topics in WS-Notification

A Topic is used in JMS, and WS-Notification.

WS-Notification states in section 6.1:
<quote>
As part of the publication of a NotificationMessage, the Publisher
associates it with one or more Topics. When a Subscriber creates a
Subscription, it associates the Subscription with one or more Topics. The
NotificationProducer uses these Topic lists as part of the matching
process: a NotificationMessage is delivered to a NotificationConsumer if
the list of Topics associated with the Subscription has a non-empty
intersection with the list of Topics associated with the
NotificationMessage. In order to avoid naming collisions, and to facilitate
interoperation between independently developed NotificationProducers and
Subscribers, every WS-Notification Topic is assigned to an XML Namespace.
The set of Topics associated with a given XML Namespace is termed a Topic
Space. Any XML namespace has the potential to scope a single collection of
Topics. Of course, not every XML namespace will define a Topic Space.
</quote>

A Topic Space sounds a lot like a Taxonomy in UDDI.

The topics within a Topic Space sound a lot like keyValue's.

Notice in [1] wsdl:portType name="NotificationBroker"

There may be many web services that implement this portType.  Some may
allow only specific Topic Spaces.  To discover NotificationBrokers in UDDI
for a particular Topic Space, we probably would put something in the
categoryBag for the service to advertise these Topic Spaces (or particular
Topics within a Topic Space).

[1]
http://devresource.hp.com/drc/specifications/wsrf/interfaces/WS-Notification.wsdl

Paul