Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Taxonomy Browsing/Navigation Requirements

Thanks for the insight.

But it will be at least a year, probably more, before the v4 specs are
nailed down and this API is implemented in products.

The reality now, with UDDI v2 implementations, is that there are multiple
formats being used to import taxonomies.

The RDDL approach I suggest can be used now.

Presumably the owner of the tModel also owns the taxonomy, or at least
makes a commitment to maintaining it.
I don't want to get into versioning issues here.

If the tModel is "checked", then the registry can check it internally or by
using an external validation service.
If it is checked externally, then we can assume that the validation service
stays in sync with the taxonomy files referenced from the tModel.

Perhaps they even subscribe to the tModel, and if it gets re-published they
can be notified and trigger a download of the revised taxonomy.

Internally checked taxonomies could do something similar.

I understand the concern that the files pointed to by RDDL (in my approach)
could change without updating the tModel, and the taxonomy version checked
internally by the UDDI registry may be different than the latest files
pointed to by RDDL.

The built-in taxonomies (NAICS, ISO-3166, UN/SPSC) could point to a RDDL
file maintained by the registry, so they stay in sync.

If a new representation of the taxonomy (e.g., in OWL, XTM, etc) becomes
available, it can be added to the RDDL with an appropriate rddl:nature and
rddl:purpose.

Perhaps a rddl:purpose could be defined to indicate the file used by a
particular registry for internal checking/validation.

E.g., rddl:purpose="http://uddi.ibm.com/taxonomy-validation"; would be
associated with a file that IBM uses to define the taxonomy it checks.

rddl:purpose="http://uddi.sap.com/taxonomy-validation"; could be associated
with a file that SAP uses.

rddl:nature allows the two formats to differ, but presumably they are
semantically equivalent.

In UDDI-ng, e.g.,
rddl:purpose="http://taxonomy.uddi.org/v4/taxonomy-validation";  and
rddl:nature=<URI-for-OWL-format-defined-by-TC>

This seems orthogonal to defining an API to retrieve or add subsets or
diffs of a taxonomy.

Paul