Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Taxonomy Browsing/Navigation Requirements

So, you have a taxonomy tModel [A] whose categoryBag says its the taxonomy
(keyValue="categorization").

Another tModel [B] has a categoryBag that says tModelKey=<rddl-nature>
keyValue=<nature-URI> and tModelKey=<rddl-purpose> keyValue=<purpose-URI>
and the overviewURL points to a file that I can download (then upload to
WASP-UDDI for example).

If there was a single standard (e.g., OWL) taxonomy format, then perhaps
tModel [A] could also have the rddl stuff in its categoryBag.

Given multiple formats, I need to relate tmodel [B] to taxonomy tModel
[A].  So I can add a third keyedRef to the categoryBag of [B] where
tModelKey=<x> keyValue=<tModelKey-for-[A]>.

So, I still have the extra level of indirection.  I have to search for and
retrieve [A], then search for tModels whose categoryBag refers to [A].
If I already know [A]'s tModelKey, then I do not have to do that 1st step.

We can do both.
categoryBag for [A] can have rddl-nature saying it (overviewURL) is RDDL,
and follow the RDDL links to get to the taxonomy files.
Also have [B] that is related to [A] by virtue of A's tModelKey in [B]'s
categoryBag.

Or, [A] 's rddl-nature and rddl-purpose suggest that the overviewURL points
to OWL for the taxonomy, and have [B] point to RDDL and be associated with [A].

The RDDL taxonomy tModel I defined was intended to use keyValue="rddlSpec"
if the overviewURL points to RDDL.
That is basically the rddl:nature, but does not say anything about its purpose.
See
http://uddi.ibm.com/ubr/uddiget?tModelKey=UUID%3A49BE0F40-E9F9-11D7-B602-000629DC0A53

keyValue="wsdlSpec" is used in the WSDL BP, which effectively is used like
rddl:nature, but says nothing about the purpose of the WSDL.  Would its
purpose be for doing wsdl2java or simply to get the soap:address?  There
could be many purposes, or generically its purpose is just to "describe the
service".  I think rddl:purpose is meant to be a little more specific so
that applications can grok it and act accordingly.

Then there is the TN that deals with value set overview documents
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/tn/uddi-spec-tc-tn-valuesetoverviewdocument-20040316.htm

presumably the overviewURL of a taxonomy tModel points to a documents that
contains the info described in the TN.
This info could be in the RDDL document (its just XHTML).

It would be nice to change the template
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/tn/uddi-spec-tc-valueset-overviewdocument-template20040316.htm
so it includes rddl attributes (and is XHTML).  Section 2.7 of the TN
(section 9 of the template) may be a place to add rddl:nature and
rddl:purpose to the links.

Paul