Subject: New draft of OWL proposal uploaded

I have uploaded a new draft of the OWL proposal[1].  It is not ready for a full-scale review but I felt I had to make something available so that people could see the direction I was taking.

The biggest difference is the idea that a UDDI registry defines a single implicit ontology into which user ontologies are effectively imported.  I think this will provide a much better foundation for anything else we do with semantics but it is not a perfect fit with tModels and keyedReferences, although I think the approach described is reasonable.

I have rewritten the description of what elements of an ontology UDDI will use in terms of RDF triples as I think that is the most concise and precise format to use and isolates the description from the flexibility of expression in RDF/XML and applies just as well to any other exchange syntax.

I have not yet addressed the issue of a management API as I am still not convinced of the need for that and what the exact requirements are, and I suspect they may disappear as the browsing/navigation requirement did.  I have said what I think the minimum set of management operations is and how they would work.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/8693/uddi-spec-tc-prop028-owl-20040813.doc

Regards,

John
John Colgrave