Subject: IPR Transition Approval Ballot

     The UDDI Spec TC has voted to convert to the "RF on RAND Terms" IPR
Mode under the current  OASIS IPR Policy [1], which constitutes a
"Transition Request" under the OASIS IPR Transition Policy [2] that governs
such a conversion.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr-transition-policy-2005-01-20.php

      I am now obligated to open a "Transition Approval Ballot" to confirm
the decision.   The voting rules for that ballot can be found at [2].  In
that ballot, each OASIS organizational member who has one or more TC
members, and each individual member who is a TC member, casts a single
vote.  We use our web-based balloting system to conduct the vote.  If you
are affiliated with an organizational member, please note that your
organization's voting primary OASIS representative will cast this
ballot.  Please inform your voting rep of your views regarding the
ballot.  (I also will notify each voting rep individually.)

     The Transition Approval Ballot will be open for 14 days, commencing
tomorrow (7 September).  If it receives the required number of votes, I
will announce that result to the TC and the TC will convert to the new
policy on the 14th day after the announcement.  If the ballot does not
receive the required number of votes, the TC continues to operate as is,
under the prior legacy IPR Policy [3], and the TC can choose to hold
another ballot at any time until April 2007.

[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/intellectual_property_2000-1-13.php

    Please be advised that the IPR Transition Policy has been amended by
our Board of Directors, effective 1 October 2005, to modify the timing and
voting rules for these ballots.[4]  After 1 October, there will be a 30-day
notice period required between the TC's vote and the Transition Approval
Ballot, and members who have not signed the current Membership Agreement no
longer will vote in those ballots, as stated in the posted FAQ [5].  Those
modified rules would govern any later Transition Approval Ballot by this
TC, if the first one is not conclusive.

[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_transition_policy.php
[5] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/transition_faq.php#4

     Thank you for your contributions to and support of open standards.

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org