Subject: Notice of IPR Transition Approval Ballot for OASIS UDDI Spec TC

To:  Those OASIS member voting representatives and individual members
who are voting "TC Qualified Members" for the OASIS UDDI Specification TC

    As you probably know, OASIS adopted revisions to our IPR Policy effective on 15 April 2005.[1]  TCs formed before that date continue to operate under the old ("legacy") policy.  However, they may convert to the new policy by making a "transition" under the terms of the OASIS IPR Transition Policy [2], by the specific voting procedure described in the transition policy.
    The OASIS UDDI Specification TC has notified OASIS staff that it successfully conducted a Transition Request vote under the IPR Transition Policy, to select the "RF on RAND Terms" IPR Mode.  It appears that over 50% of the OASIS members represented by voting members of the Committee have signed the current membership agreement.  Accordingly, I am opening a Transition Approval Ballot, in which the primary representatives of all voting members of the committee may cast a ballot.  In this ballot, which will run for 14 days, the ten TC Qualified Members [3] each may cast only a single vote. The ballot allows for YES, NO, or ABSTAIN votes.  Approval of a Transition Approval Ballot requires (i) a minimum of 50% of all TC Qualified Members to vote, (ii) no NO votes cast and (iii) one or more YES votes.
    The ballot has opened and can be seen at [4].  Please note, for organizational members, it is the primary OASIS representative who votes, so if you are not a TC member, you may wish to consult your organizational's active TC members regarding this vote.      Regards  Jamie Clark

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_transition_policy.php
[3] In the transition policy, the "TC Qualified Members" who may vote in this ballot are defined as:

[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=834