Subject: Topics for discussion

Dear TC members,

If we have some time left over for the today’s agenda I would like to discus some of the topics where UDDI specification potentially need and improvements. We can certainly do this in via list server as well.

This list of topics came from the discussions with our customers using UDDI registries.

Since I am fairly new to the TC, I apologies if those topics were previously discussed at this forum. I know that the team is not in favor of developing new API’s. :)

Customer Issues:

1. Lack of standard taxonomy management API's for custom taxonomy exchange. Upload Download of custom taxonomies. How does this lack of custom taxonomy values affect record replication in the federated UDDI environments?

2. Customers wants to have an ability to validate any save_XXX messages via external validation API’s. External Web service UDDI validation API only provided for the checked taxonomy values. There seem to be a need to validate for any UDDI entity on the publication operation in the standard way.

3. Reliability of UDDI external taxonomy validation Web services calls is a concern. There seem to be issues with the external validation requests timing out and breaking client HTTP sessions. There is no way to control time outs of the blocking validation calls. Which leads to the #4.

4. There seem to be a need for the asynchronous validation or publication API. Blocking synchronous style API forces development of proprietary solutions for publication validation/approval process.  In some cases this leads to deployment of multiple registries and replication mechanisms. Async publication validation API could potentially solve this issue using a single registry. (Using current v3.0, Could there be a simple taxonomy “async status” reference mechanism to indicate the status of the publication approval. Should we develop a tech note for this?)

Best regards,

Oleg Mikulinsky
Director of Enterprise Architecture
WebLayers, Inc.