user-assistance-discuss message

Subject: RE: [user-assistance-discuss] Thoughts on Graphical Callouts

One of the added values of semantic markup is that you can provide
alternatives. I absolutely agree with Paul Neshamkin that excluding graphics
is absurd. However, an XML schema should be able to include options. Where a
figure might include a legend in a printed guide or popups in an online
rendering, the same markup could include more detailed textual information
about a graphic image.

At the same time, some of this has nothing to do with the markup used to
capture information and everything to do with the rendering. For example, if
my schema includes markup for alternate text in graphics, it doesn't do me
much good for PDF output if RenderX and AntennaHouse don't support tagged
PDF.

Bill Burns
Burns Technical Communications
Microsoft Help MVP