Subject: virtio device ID

Dear OASIS Team,

I am currently working on a guest sound card driver based on VIRTIO (Linux guest ->ALSA driver).

The virtio spec (Appendix B3) suggests to use ‘65535 and backward’ for experimental drivers – but when looking deeper at the spec /probing it seems that device ID’s are limited to 63.

So currently I use 63 (PCI Device ID 0x1040+63d ) to avoid conflicts with upcoming new ID’s.

The host implementation will probably not be open source but nevertheless I feel that reserving at least an own unique ID for ‘sound transport’ or ‘sound card’ would be helpful.

Is there a chance to get an ID for such device type reserved?

Thank You,

Best regards

Andreas Pape

Advanced Driver Information Technology GmbH
Engineering Software Base (ADITG/ESB)
Robert-Bosch-Str. 200
31139 Hildesheim
Germany

Tel. +49 5121 49 6979
Fax +49 5121 49 6999
apape@de.adit-jv.com

ADIT is a joint venture company of Robert Bosch GmbH/Robert Bosch Car Multimedia GmbH and DENSO Corporation
Sitz: Hildesheim, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hildesheim HRB 3438
Geschäftsführung: Wilhelm Grabow, Ken Yaguchi