Subject: Re: VIRTIO_RING_F_INDIRECT_SIZE status

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 01:55:14PM +0100, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
>   2.8 Packed Virtqueues
>   2.8.5 Scatter-Gather Support [1]
>   While unusual (most implementations either create all lists solely using
>   non-indirect descriptors, or always use a single indirect element), if both
>   features have been negotiated, mixing indirect and non-indirect descriptors
>   in a ring is valid, as long as each list only contains descriptors of a
>   given type.
>
>   [1] https://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.2/cs01/virtio-v1.2-cs01.html#x1-770005
>
> To avoid misapprehensions: the way I understand it, same restrictions apply to
> packed queues as split queues, in the sense that you may neither chain several
> tables in a single message, nor multi-level nest tables, nor mix a list of
> direct descriptors and indirect descriptors on the same level within one
> message. So the explicit exception described here, only means you may use
> *one* indirect table in one message, while using chained direct descriptors in
> another message. But that's it, right?

That's my understanding.

> > 2. Given this is a lot of work I am trying to find a way to
> > make the impact bigger. In particular to cover the use-case
> > of limiting s/g to 1k while making queues deeper (with
> > or without indirect). For this I proposed:
> >
> > 	So I think that given this, we can limit the total number
> > 	of non-indirect descriptors, including non-indirect ones
> > 	in a chain + all the ones in indirect pointer table if any,
> > 	and excluding the indirect descriptor itself, and this
> > 	will address the issue you are describing here, right?
> >
> > people seemed to be ok with this idea?
>
> IIUIC it would not make a difference from design perspective from what I
> proposed, as virtio currently neither allows to mix, chain or mult-level nest
> indirect descriptor tables within a single message), and hence it would just
> boil down to adjusting the wording. So yes, it would therefore cover my
> intended use case.
>
> Best regards,
> Christian Schoenebeck

Sounds good to me. One interesting case is scsi and blk which have
a seg_max field. This is defined as

\item[\field{seg_max}] is the maximum number of segments that can be in a
    command. A bidirectional command can include \field{seg_max} input
    segments and \field{seg_max} output segments.

it is never explained what *are* the segments, or how does it
interact with VQ depth. Current drivers interpret this
strictly and assume that this limits the s/g length but does not
allow you to exceed vq size.

Do we thus want two limits (for read and write descriptors)?

--
MST