Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] [RFC] virtio 1.3 schedule

On Fri, Apr 07 2023, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 03:57:09PM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
>> That said, let me propose the following timeline:
>>
>> - July 1st 2023: enter feature freeze; all proposed changes must at
>>   least have an open github issue that refers to a proposal on-list
>> - August 1st 2023: enter change freeze; everything needs to have been
>>   voted upon (i.e. we can start with preparations for a release like
>>   compiling the change log)
>> - at the same time, fork virtio-next, which can be used for development
>>   while we're working on the release
>> - August/September 2023: prepare draft, initiate initial voting etc.
>
> Hmm looks like you forgot a 30 day the public review period (or is that
> included in the "etc"? ).  During this period we will likely receive
> review comments which we have to address. Should the changes turn out to
> be material, another public review period will be required.
> Let's spell it out please.

Yeah, that's what I meant with "etc"... let's make this:

- August 2023: prepare draft, aim to have it ready and voted upon by
  August 31 the latest (preferrably earlier)
- September 2023: public review period (30 days)
- October 2023: another public review period, if needed; otherwise, get
  comittee specification ready and voted upon
- October (maybe November, if we're running late) 2023: virtio 1.3
  released

The most important dates are feature freeze on Jul 1 and change freeze
on Aug 1, I guess; for the rest, we depend on whether people are out on
PTO, which kind of feedback we get, etc. -- but as long as we release
1.3 in 2023, I'll be happy enough.