Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Re: Re: [virtio-comment] [PROPOSAL] Virtio Over Fabrics(TCP/RDMA)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 14:36:04 +0800, Jason Wang <jasowang@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 9:38âPM zhenwei pi <pizhenwei@bytedance.com> wrote:

> > > PCI can work for containers for sure (or does it meet any issue like
> > > scalability?). It's better to describe what problems you met and why
> > > you choose this way to solve it.
> > >
> > > It's better to compare this with
> > >
> > > 1) hiding the fabrics details via DPU
> > > 2) vDPA
> > >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry, I missed this part. "Network defined peripheral devices of virtio
> > family" is the main purpose of this proposal,
>
> This can be achieved by either DPU or vDPA.

I agree this.

So I didn't understand what the meaning of this realization. Although I am also
very excited to this idea, this broaden the possibility of virtio. But, I still
really want to know what the meaning of this idea is, better performance? Or
can achieve some situations that we cannot achieved now.

> I think the advantages is,
> if we standardize this in the spec, it avoids vendor specific
> protocol.

Sorry, I dont got this.

Thanks.