Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Re: [Proposal] Relationship between XDP and rx-csum in virtio-net

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 05:18:20PM +0800, Heng Qi wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 03:15:37AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > The device or the driver.
> > >
> > > When the device is hw, the sender is more likely to be a device.
> > > When the device is sw, the sender can be a device or a driver.
> > >
> > > But in general, this feature is inclined to constrain the behavior of the device and
> > > the driver from the receiving side.
> >
> > Based on above I am guessing you are talking about driver getting
> > packets from device, I wish you used terms from virtio spec.
>
> Yes, I'm going to use the terminology of the virtio spec.
>

> > > For example:
> > > VIRTIO_NET_F_UNNECESSARY_CSUM : The driver tells the device that you must send me a fully csumed packet.
> > >
> > > Then the specific implementation can be
> > >
> > > (1) the sender sends a fully csumed packet;
> > > (2) the receiver receives a CHECKSUM_PARTIAL packet, and the device helps calculate the fully csum
> > >     (because the two parties in the communication are located on the same host, the packet is trusted.).
> > >
> > > In summary, if VIRTIO_NET_F_UNNECESSARY_CSUM is negotiated, the driver will no longer receive any packets marked CHECKSUM_PARTIAL.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > This is what clearing VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM does.
>
> Yes, but with VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM cleared, although the device can
> receive a fully checksummed packet, we can no longer enjoy
> the device's ability to validate the packet checksum. That is, the value
> of \field{flags} in the virtio_net_hdr structure is set to 0, which means
> that the packet received by the driver will not be marked as
> VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_DATA_VALID.
>
> So, we need a feature bit (let's say VIRTIO_NET_F_UNNECESSARY_CSUM).
> If VIRTIO_NET_F_UNNECESSARY_CSUM is negotiated, the device must give the
> driver a fully checksummed packet, and the packet is validated by the
> device with \field{flags} set to VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_DATA_VALID.
>

> > I feel you are trying to say that clearing VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM
> > disables all offloads but you want to keep some of them?
> >

> No, what I mean is that a feature VIRTIO_NET_F_UNNECESSARY_CSUM is needed
> in addition to VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM, if both features are negotiated,
> then the driver may always receive packets marked as
> VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_DATA_VALID, which means that we can now load XDP at the
> same time.

Makes no sense to me. VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM set already allows
VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_DATA_VALID:
\item If the VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_CSUM feature was negotiated, the
  VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_NEEDS_CSUM bit in \field{flags} can be
  set: if so, the packet checksum at offset \field{csum_offset}
  from \field{csum_start} and any preceding checksums
  have been validated.  The checksum on the packet is incomplete and
  if bit VIRTIO_NET_HDR_F_RSC_INFO is not set in \field{flags},
  then \field{csum_start} and \field{csum_offset} indicate how to calculate it
  (see Packet Transmission point 1).

Did you maybe mean if either feature is negotiated?